My girls seem to light up at the mention of a date just the two of us! The dynamic is so very different when you spend one-on-one time together. To be truly present in the moment – that kind of attention is simply a gift, and always remembered with such happiness and love. Need a little inspiration? Our wonderful list of fun ideas will have you connecting one-on-one with your kiddos in all sorts of ways, and you don’t need a lot of time or resources to do so. Special moments and smiles together await – go ahead and plan yours today!
Parent-Child “Date” Ideas
- Start by using Kidlist each month to brainstorm. Our free February events calendar is a great place to start.
- One of our favorite dates is to simply visit a local ice cream spot! Pick up a quart and make sundaes together at home, or grab a cone and enjoy an ice cream walk any time of year. Rolled ice cream is fun to try, too.
- Get out those aprons and cook dinner at home together. Let your child select the recipe, then shop and cook to treat the whole family.
- More of a baker than a chef? Baking treats is about the warmest, sweetest little chunks of time you can spend together! Or, try a baking lesson just the two of you. Many spots are offering online options if you prefer to cook in your own kitchen.
- Plan a movie night at home! Select your movie of choice in advance, and pick up the movie theater treats beforehand. Popcorn and candy favorites will make it extra fun. And, once it’s summer, make it a drive-in movie.
- Coffee shops near parks are such a perfect pairing for a simple, fun date! Coffee (for you), hot cocoa (for them), then some fresh air playtime afterwards — win, win!
- Speaking of hot cocoa, have you tried the latest craze of hot cocoa bombs with your kids yet? Pick up a few of these fun local treats and then put together your own unique hot cocoa “charcuterie” board on the side!
- How about a donut date? Try a spot on our list for the best donuts in the suburbs and get your morning started on a sweet note!
- Winter, spring, summer or fall, anytime is a good time to take a hike on some wooded trails! Nothing is as good for the soul as time in nature together.
- For a longer and bit more extravagant date, plan a little staycation right here in Chicago! There are lots of kid-friendly local hotels and hotels with pools.
- Tackle a project together. Maybe it’s doing that 1,000 piece puzzle or gigantic LEGO set as a team.
- Pick up a local arts and crafts or cooking activity kit for an easy, at-home date! We are lucky to be surrounded by so many awesome art studios and restaurants that have creative kits custom-made for the kiddos! From painting to pottery to pizza, there’s so much to choose from.
- Heard of local restaurants with igloo dining? What a cool and memorable dining experience to share with your child!
- For a more active outing in the wintertime, check out a spot where you can go snow tubing, skiing, sledding or ice skating!
- Snuggle up together under a fort and have a book date! You can search for new books at your local library or pick some up curbside at your local bookshop.
- And last but not least, consider a volunteering date! An act of hope and care for others is such a meaningful experience to share with your child.
Sometimes the simpler moments are the very best moments of all. Your kids will feel valued, important and special by involving them in the planning process. Once you’ve come up with some fun date ideas, enjoy the excitement of looking forward to your planned event as a pair!
Kidlist has all the inspiration for winter fun with kids in Chicago’s western suburbs! Do you have a favorite activity to do one-one-one with your child that wasn’t included? Please let us know in the comments below!