Not only do experience gifts tend to support local businesses, they also cut down on the clutter in our homes, help us explore the places we live, and help us make magical memories with our kiddos. We’ve got the goods on amazing experience gifts for kids this year!
This article is sponsored by Tommy’s Private Car Service, offering private holiday light tours!
Looking for a Covid-19 safe Christmas activity for your family? Make a reservation for a Christmas light tour with Tommy’s Private Car Service!
You and your family will enjoy a 2 hour voyage into the shared winter wonderland created by your neighbors, local businesses, and municipalities. Up to 13 of your loved ones (14 total) can take part in a curated tour in the comfort of our heated, leather-appointed, fully windowed “sleigh.”
When you reserve your time slot, you reserve the entire touring van for just you and whoever is part of your safe bubble — click here to reserve now!
Experience Gift Guide for Christmas 2020
Membership Gift Ideas
Memberships make great gifts because they give your family a cost-effective way to get out and have fun together all year round. After all, “Let’s go to the zoo!” is a lot easier when you know the tickets are already paid for.
- Brookfield Zoo memberships allow your family to explore Chicagoland’s largest zoo whenever you like! Upgrade your membership for tickets to additional experiences.
- Chicago Botanic Garden memberships let you breathe in the fresh, green air all year long.
- Morton Arboretum memberships are a popular gift this year, with access to acres and acres of trees (and an amazing children’s garden).
- The Forge: Lemont Quarries, which is new this year, offers annual memberships for access to its outdoor adventure-based activities.
Classes and Other Experience Gift Ideas
If there’s a skill your child has talked about wanting to learn, a class is a great gift. A few ideas:
- Cooking classes, art and music classes, horseback riding lessons . . . all of these make amazing gifts. Even this year, you can find virtual offerings, plan spring outings, and more.
- Check out Kidlist’s half-price tickets page! While this page normally has local shows, right now it’s full of cool virtual experiences.
- Check out Airbnb’s online experiences and find a live online class to take together or gift to your child. Go on a family-friendly leopard safari for little animal lovers, give your kitchen-loving kiddo, French baking lessons, treat your BTS- or Blackpink-obsessed teen to a K-pop dance class, and more.
- Cameo lets you choose from staggering array of celebrities to record a custom greeting. Athletes, musicians, video game actors, esports stars, YouTubers, authors . . . from pretty big to extremely niche. If your kid is a fan, this could be so cool for them. (And if you have nieces or nephews you won’t be able to visit this year, it’s a great gift to give from afar, too.)
Winter Fun Gift Ideas
Tickets or a homemade coupon for winter fun can help see your family through all the cold and snow! Here are a few ideas:
- Go skiing or sledding for some outdoor fun!
- Get tickets to see the Morton Arboretum transformed with lights and music at Illumination: Tree Lights. This year, it’s a driving display.
- Tee up a day at TopGolf. They are open with additional safety precautions, and even have heaters to keep you cozy in the winter. Tuesdays are currently half price (subject to change).
Plan a Vacation (or “Staycation”)
A winter break trip is a fun way to build memories together — even if you decide to rock a staycation instead! Our list of family-friendly Airbnbs in Illinois is a great resource for a change of scenery and time together.
Looking for things to do, the best holiday events, and more? Check out our December events guide!