The Pigeon Comes to Chicago! A Mo Willems Exhibit makes its debut at Chicago Children’s Museum on Saturday, September 21, 2019. Co-organized by Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh and The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art, the exhibition is inspired by the art and characters of the belovedchildren’s book author and illustrator, Mo Willems.
Many familiar characters will be featured including best friend duo Elephant and Piggie, faithful companion Knuffle Bunny and The Pigeon, the wily city bird best known for his antics in Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! Activities will give visitors the opportunity to make art that is inspired by MoWillems and to learn about the rich social and emotional lives of the author’s characters. The exhibit will also feature prints of illustrations, including sketches and other preliminary materials, by Mo Willems.
In this play-and-learn exhibit, visitors can:
- Have a hilarious conversation in the voices of Elephant Gerald and Piggie at a double-sided phone booth.
- Make Elephant and Piggie dance with old-time animation.
- Put on a wearable bus and take a drive around the exhibit.
- Spin the laundromat washing machine and uncover Knuffle Bunny and other surprises!
- Dress up Naked Mole Rat and send him down the runway for a one-of-a-kind fashion show.
- Stack lightweight blocks to create their own terrible monster or funny friend.
- Launch foam hot dogs at The Pigeon and play the plinko game to give the Duckling a cookie.
- Try out art techniques that Mo uses for his own books.The Pigeon Comes to Chicago! A Mo Willems Exhibit
The Pigeon Comes to Chicago! A Mo Willems Exhibit will be open through January 12, 2020 and is included in museum admission ($14.95 for adults and children, $13.95 for seniors) and membership.
Chicago Children’s Museum
700 E. Grand Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611