Parenthood is an incredible roller coaster full of ups and downs and twists and turns. One day you’re basking in the magic of one Facebook-worthy moment after another, and the next you’re ready to run for the hills! No matter how experienced or capable we think we are when it comes to parenting, we can all use some support. Parent groups and playgroups are so helpful!
When my oldest was just a few months old, I joined a new moms group to give me a reason to get dressed and out of the house. Eight years later, I count those weekly “play” groups with other newbies among my most special mom memories, and I credit that amazing group of women with helping me carve out my new identity as a parent (and stay sane in the process!).
The western suburbs of Chicago are home to thousands of sociable moms and dads looking to connect over their kids. Read on for a variety of ways to meet them!
Parent Groups and Playgroups in the Western Suburbs
- Moms of Brookfield
- DuPage Moms/Mothers and More
- DuPage Area Moms
- Downers Grove Area Moms and Families
- Naperville Moms Meetup
- Naperville Stay-At-Home Moms (and Moms-To-Be)
- Cradle Talk (for moms who delivered at Edwards Hospital with 0–6 month old babies)
- Special Needs Parent Community of Chicago and Surrounding Suburbs
- West Suburban Mothers of Multiples
- Moms Connect in Darien
- Stay-at-Home Moms in the Western Burbs
- Willowbrook Area Moms Meetup
- Lombard Moms
- Connections Cafe
Local Woman’s Clubs
- Darien Woman’s Club
- Downers Grove Junior Woman’s Club
- Elmhurst Junior Women’s Club
- Hinsdale Junior Woman’s Club
- Lisle Woman’s Club
- Naperville Junior Woman’s Club
- St. John of the Cross Women’s Club
- Wheaton Junior Woman’s Club
- Downers Grove Area Newcomers
- Western Springs Neighbors & Newcomers
- Newcomers and Neighbors of the Greater Hinsdale Area (includes Burr Ridge, Clarendon Hills, Oak Brook, Westmont)
- LaGrange Neighbors & Newcomers
- Elmhurst Neighbors & Newcomers Club
- Newcomers Club of Wheaton, Winfield and Warrenville
- Naperville Newcomers and Neighbors Club
- Glen Ellyn Newcomers Club
- Fox Valley Newcomers and Neighbors (includes St. Charles, Geneva, Batavia)
MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) Groups
MOPS programming is available at churches throughout the Western suburbs. Infants, toddlers, and preschoolers are welcome and these groups often form playgroups. You may also find MOMSNext groups for families with school-aged children.
- Wesley United Methodist (Aurora)
- Our Savior Lutheran Church (Carol Stream)
- Cityview Community Church (Elmhurst)
- Elmhurst Christian Reformed Church
- Naperville Convenant MOPS
- Christ Church of Oak Brook
- OPRF MOPS (River Forest)
- Gary United Methodist (Wheaton)
- St. John the Baptist Church (Winfield)
- First Presbyterian Church of Glen Ellyn
Breastfeeding Support Groups
- La Leche League of Illinois (map includes chapters throughout the Western suburbs)
- Lactation Station: Breastfeeding Clinic at the La Grange Public Library
- Breastfeeding/New Moms Support Group at West Suburban Women’s Health
- Breastfeeding Support Group at Adventist Medical Center La Grange
Mom Fitness Groups
In Rachel’s article on local gyms with childcare, she also found lots of mom-centric fitness classes nearby. Here are a few to get you started:
- Fit4Mom Batavia, Geneva, St. Charles
- Fit4Mom DuPage County
- Fit4Mom Greater NW Chicago Suburbs
- Fit4Mom Naperville
- Fit4Mom Oak Brook – Hinsdale
- Fit4Mom Oak Park – River Forest
- Gemini Yoga Studio (La Grange)
- Stroller Strong Moms – Wheaton
- Universal Spirit Yoga (Naperville)
Facebook Mom Groups
- CHEERS for Moms
- MamaTribe Chicago
- Working Moms of the Western Suburbs
- DuPage Moms
- The Branch Moms – Naperville and Surrounding Suburbs
- Glen Ellyn Moms Village
- Moms of the Western Burbs
- Oak Park Moms
- Bolingbrook Area Moms
Other Ways to Connect
- Sign up for classes through your local park district, especially “Parent and Me” classes.
- Many Indoor Playgrounds have baby and toddler times where you can meet other parents and start a playgroup.
- Volunteer in the nursery or children’s program at your place of worship.
- Attend story time and lap-sit classes at your local library.
- Search Meetup.com for groups that reflect your own interests. Don’t limit yourself to mom groups!
- Check out Bible Study Fellowship classes in our area. Most offer both daytime and evening studies with free childcare, so you’ll meet lots of moms!
- There are great music and swimming class options in our guide to Classes for Little Kids 0-5 Years Old that you can sign up for with your little ones.
Get out there and start making new mom (and dad) friends now! Check out our Best Places to Go for Each Age Group.