Thank you to Mattix Music Studio for sponsoring this extensive list of classes for kids ages 0-5!
Make music an exciting part of your child’s life! Join Mattix Music Studio in Western Springs for private music lessons and Music Together® classes!
We offer weekly piano, violin, cello, and viola lessons for students ages three and up. Our outstanding teachers use both traditional and Suzuki methods to make learning enjoyable and accessible to young musicians.
Each week in Music Together® classes, babies, toddlers, preschoolers, and the grownups who love them come together for 45 minutes of fun-filled family time. Your family will have so much fun singing, dancing, playing, and laughing that you may not realize how much incredible development is taking place.
Classes for Little Kids 0–5 Years Old
Parents with young children ages 0–5 years old are often looking for activities to keep kids active, engaged, learning, and exploring! Classes at this stage in life are also an opportunity for parents to meet and connect with others in the community. Check out this list if you’re looking for things to do with a baby, toddler, or pre-K kiddo.
Dance Classes for Little Kids
Your little one can practice balance, rhythm and movement through a dance class. Try visiting a few dance studios in your area and have your child try a free trial class before signing up for the session. Then you can see if the style, environment, and teachers jive with your little dancer.
- Western Springs: Jo’s Footwork Studio (18 months and up)
- Hinsdale: Hinsdale Dance Academy (from birth), The Community House Irish Dance (3 years and up)
- La Grange: Dance Center of LaGrange (18 months and up), Impact Dance Studio (12 months and up)
- Indian Head Park: Thrive Center for Dance (3 years and up)
- Countryside: Lively Arts Dance Academy (18 months and up)
- Lyons: Miss Mickey’s Dancers (2 years and up)
- Berwyn: Pulse Dance Studio (5 years and up)
- Westmont: Salt Creek Ballet (2 years and up), Expression Dance Studio (12 months and up), The Center for Dance (2 years and up), Academy of Music & Art (2 years and up), Mulhern School of Irish Dance (2 years and up)
- Downers Grove: The Academy of Dance Arts (2.5 years and up), Bluestone Academy of Dance and Music, Dance One (3 years and up)
- Oak Park: INTUIT Dance Studio (3 years and up), TranscenDance Studios (3 years and up), Panda Dance Studio (3 years and up)
- Forest Park: Principle Dance (2 years and up), INTUIT Dance Studio (3 years and up)
- Elmhurst: Deforest Dance Academy (3 years and up)
- Glen Ellyn: Sunshine Dance Project (2 years and up), Deforest Dance Academy (3 years and up)
- Bensenville: All Around Gymnastics and Dance (3 years and up)
- Lisle: Yang Dance Academy (4 years and up)
- Wheaton: The Upper Room Dance Studio (4 years and up), Front Street Dance (2.5 years and up), Elite Feet Dance Center (2.5 years and up), Moves Dance Studio (3 years and up)
Indoor Swim Lessons for Little Kids
One of the most important life skill is learning to swim. Help your child become comfortable in the water by enrolling in one of these swim programs.
Goldfish Swim School in Burr Ridge, Glen Ellyn, and Naperville offers lessons in five groups ranging from 4 months through 12 years on weekdays and weekends. Click here to read more about Goldfish Swim School in Burr Ridge along with many photographs of the space and some info about the co-owner and general manager, Steve Karapetian.
Max Aquatics in McCook has small group classes starting at age 3 and organized according to age. Private lessons are also available. Baby ‘n Me class also available starting at 6 months with a parent or caregiver.
British Swim School offers both group and private lessons for ages 3 months and up all year round at various pools. Check the website for locations. They are also having an event at Yorktown soon. Click here for more details.
The Bear Paddle Swim School in Woodridge has classes for kids as young as 6 months old, and are based on age and ability.
Good Samaritan Wellness Center in Downers Grove offers private and group lessons for ages 6 months through 14 years old.
Oak Brook Park District offers weekday swim lessons are offered from ages 9 months though 16 years old in the form of group and private lessons.
Music Classes for Little Kids
Music Together classes are offered at Mattix Music Studio in Western Springs. Each week in Music Together® classes, babies, toddlers, preschoolers, and the grownups who love them come together for 45 minutes of fun-filled family time. Your family will have so much fun singing, dancing, playing, and laughing that you may not realize how much incredible development is taking place!
Music Together classes can also be found at Mayslake Peabody Estate in Oak Brook, The Oak Brook Park District, Luscombe Music in Elmhurst, You and Yours in Oak Park, and Wee Heart Music in Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, and Lombard.
Ms. Clara’s Mini Musicians in Brookfield and Oak Park is for children 4 months through kindergarten. Click here for information on free classes along with a discount code for new families.
Wiggleworms from Old Town School of Folk Music can be found in Western Springs and is designed for kids two and under. There are also siblings classes.
Music Makers of Western Springs offers music appreciation classes for children 3-4 years old who aren’t ready for formal instrument lessons.
Tiny Toes music classes can be found in La Grange, Hinsdale, Burr Ridge, and Downers Grove for children birthday to kindergarten.
Mini Musicians at Four Corners Community Church in Darien offers free classes for newborns through preschoolers. The class meets twice monthly on Mondays in the fall. Email Jamie Becker at [email protected] for info about scheduling.
The Academy of Music & Art in Westmont has music classes for ages 2 years and up.
Gymnastics Classes for Little Kids
Gymnastics and tumbling is also popular for this age group. Try a few trial classes to aid in your decision.
- Burr Ridge: BIG Gymnastics (walkers and up)
- La Grange: Gemini Gymnastics Academy (2 years and up), La Grange Park District (5 years and up)
- Countryside: Flying High (walkers and up)
- Westmont: Illinois Gymnastics Institute (18 months and up)
- Darien: Action Gymnastics
- Downers Grove: Ariel Gymnastics Club (5 years and up), Elite Sports Complex (12 months and up), Downers Grove Park District (18 months and up), Premier Gymnastics (18 months and up)
- Oak Park: Park District of Oak Park (12 months and up)
- Forest Park: Tri-Star Gymnastics (2 years and up)
- Elmhurst: Elmhurst Park District (12 months and up)
- Lombard: Lombard Park District (18 months and up)
- Bensenville: All Around Gymnastics and Dance (15 months and up)
Soccer Classes for Little Kids
Kids with a lot of energy may enjoy running around on the soccer field! Classes at this age emphasize fun, teamwork, and beginning fundamentals.
- Westmont Yard tailors their youngest classes for 2 year olds and up. These classes come with a nice perk: On weekdays, siblings of enrolled kids can play in the Playroom for a discounted rate of $5.
- Little Kickers offers soccer for children 18 months and older at The Max in McCook.
Language Classes for Little Kids
Kids in this age range are wired to learn language. Whether you want to introduce a second language spoken in your family or give your kid a head start on becoming bilingual, check out these classes.
- Language Stars has several locations, including Hinsdale/Oak Brook, Naperville, and Wheaton/Glen Ellyn, with classes that start with parent and tot programs for children ages 1 year and up.
- The German Language School is a non-profit school in Naperville that has classes for children ages 1 year and up.
- The Language and Music School in Oak Park offers music, language, or a combination of both for children ages 4 months old and up.
Art Classes for Little Kids
Introducing art at a young age has so many benefits.
- Elmhurst Art Museum (18 months old and up)
- Magical Minds Studio in Oak Park (18 months old and up)
- No Corner Suns in Westmont (2 years old and up)
- The Academy of Music & Art in Westmont (2 years and up)
- Strauch Art School in Elmhurst (4 years old and up)
- The Art Room in Lisle (5 years old and up)
- Doodle Art And Design in Western Springs (5 years old and up)
- Michaels has classes for children ages 3 years old and up. They can do crafts while you shop in the store for $2, all supplies included.
Cantigny offers a rotating schedule of classes for littles, all tailored to specific ages. Subjects range from sing-a-longs to animal meet-and-greets.
If your child has, ahem, “a lot of energy,” look into classes at My Gym. They have age-appropriate movement classes starting with really little babes (just six weeks) all the way up through big kids. Check out the Aurora, River Forest, and Wheaton sites for the schedule and to register.
Kids Science Labs in Wheaton has toddler discovery science classes for ages 3-5.
Your park district almost certainly offers classes for little ones, so check them out. And don’t forget your local library! Almost all have free story-times, classes, and kids’ programs for residents.