If you’re anything like me, your holiday to-do list is a mile long these days. Much to my chagrin, something will inevitably be forgotten. Whether you’re looking for a missing ingredient in the grocery store aisles, or ready to take the stress out of cooking your Christmas dinner, we’ve rounded up information about which stores and restaurants will be open on Christmas Day. Breathe in a sigh of relief knowing that these businesses have what you need to help you relax and enjoy your holiday celebration.
What is Open on Christmas Day?
Local Attractions Open on Christmas
Brookfield Zoo is open 365 days a year! Holiday Magic isn’t going on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, but the rest of the zoo is open.
Although buildings, the Children’s Garden, and Illumination are closed, The Morton Arboretum is free on Christmas Day.
LEGOLAND Discovery Center in Schaumburg is typically open 365 days a year, including Christmas. This year, it is still closed as mandated by local regulations.
Movie theaters and select bowling alleys are usually open on Christmas Day, but are closed in 2020 due to local regulations.
Grocery, Convenience, and Retail Store Christmas Hours
- Jewel-Osco, ALDI, Mariano’s, Trader Joe’s, and Whole Foods Market are all closed on Christmas Day. While grocery-store chains likely have company policies to close on Christmas Day, some smaller, independent grocery stores may be open. Call ahead to confirm hours.
- CVS: Select stores will remain open on Christmas Day, and are likely to reduce their hours of operation. Those located within Target stores will be closed. Call ahead before you go.
- Walgreens: All stores will be open on Christmas Day.
- Nearly all 7-Eleven stores remain open on Christmas Day.
- All Target, Walmart, and Costco stores will be closed on Christmas Day.
Local Restaurants Open on Christmas Day
Open Table is a great way to find restaurants that are open on Christmas Day. As it is likely that Illinois will still be restricting indoor dining on Christmas Day, the restaurants below are offering delicious carryout options for your Christmas feast!
- Abbington Distinctive Banquets in Glen Ellyn
- Antico Posto in Oak Brook
- Balmoral Restaurant in Campton Hills
- Benihana in Lombard
- Buca di Beppo in Lombard, Orland Park, and Wheeling
- Chuck’s Southern Comforts Cafe in Darien
- CityGate Grille in Naperville
- The Clubhouse in Oak Brook and Schaumburg
- Eddie Merlot’s in Burr Ridge and Warrenville
- Fogo de Chao in Naperville
- Francesca’s Restaurants in Elmhurst, Naperville, Bolingbrook, and Forest Park
- Harry Caray’s Italian Steakhouse in Lombard and Rosemont
- Hugo’s Frog Bar & Fish House in Naperville
- Jameson’s Charhouse in Bloomingdale
- KiKu Japanese Steakhouse in Naperville
- Kona Grill in Oakbrook
- La Sorella di Francesca in Naperville
- Loft 28 West in Aurora
- Lucille at Drury Lane in Oak Brook
- McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood in Oak Brook
- Morton’s the Steakhouse in Naperville
- RA Sushi Bar Restaurant in Lombard
- Rosebud in Naperville
- Sullivan’s Steakhouse in Naperville
- Wild Ginger Asian Cuisine in Hinsdale
Looking for more winter holiday fun? Click here for our huge guide to everything family-friendly for the holidays.