Where can you find a grocery store that sells ricotta cheese on Christmas Day? A few years ago, with a mishap in the kitchen, our family was left scrambling for ricotta cheese. Thankfully, a small, independent grocery store was open to save the day (and our homemade raviolis!). Whether you’re looking for a missing ingredient, ready to enjoy a delicious Christmas dinner out, or don’t plan on celebrating, here’s our list of places that are open on Christmas Day in Chicago’s western suburbs.
There are also a few local attractions open on Christmas Day, so check out our new section of places to go on Christmas in the Chicago suburbs!
What is Open on Christmas Day?
Local Attractions Open on Christmas
Brookfield Zoo is open 365 days a year! Holiday Magic isn’t going on Christmas day, but the rest of the zoo is open.
Although buildings, the Children’s Garden, and Illumination are closed, The Morton Arboretum is free on Christmas Day.
LEGOLAND Discovery Center in Schaumburg is open 365 days a year, including Christmas.
Movie theaters are also open on Christmas Day!
Grocery, Convenience, and Retail Store Christmas Hours
- Jewel-Osco, ALDI, Mariano’s, Trader Joe’s, and Whole Foods Market are all closed on Christmas Day. While grocery-store chains likely have company policies to close on Christmas Day, some smaller, independent grocery stores may be open. Call ahead to confirm hours.
- CVS: Select stores will remain open on Christmas Day. Those located within Target stores will be closed. Call ahead before you go.
- Walgreens: All stores will be open on Christmas Day.
- Nearly all 7-Eleven stores remain open on Christmas Day.
- All Target, Walmart, and Costco stores will be closed on Christmas Day.
Local Restaurants Open on Christmas Day
Open Table is a great way to find restaurants with reservations available; as always, call ahead to confirm they are open on Christmas Day. Some restaurants are already booked and starting wait lists, and some require reservations, so call as soon as possible:
- Balmoral Restaurant in St. Charles
- Bar Louie in Naperville
- Benihana in Lombard
- Buca di Beppo in Lombard
- Eggs, Inc. in Naperville
- Fogo de Chao in Naperville
- Francesca’s Restaurants in Elmhurst, Naperville, Bolingbrook, and Forest Park
- Glen Prairie in Glen Ellyn
- Harry Caray’s Italian Steakhouse in Lombard
- Holy Mackerel (Harry Caray’s) in Lombard
- Jameson’s Charhouse in Bloomingdale
- KiKu Japanese Steakhouse in Naperville
- Kona Grill in Oakbrook
- La Sorella di Francesca in Naperville
- Lucille at Drury Lane in Oak Brook
- McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood in Oak Brook
- Morton’s the Steakhouse in Naperville
- Plank Bar & Grill in Naperville
- RA Sushi Bar Restaurant in Lombard
- Sullivan’s Steakhouse in Naperville
- The Clubhouse in Oak Brook and Schaumburg (Check out the Christmas Day Buffet menu)
- Wild Ginger Asian Cuisine in Hinsdale
- William Tell Restaurant in Countryside
Looking for more winter holiday fun? Click here for our huge guide to everything family-friendly for the holidays.