- This event has passed.
Fossil Week at Isle a la Cache
July 26, 2022, 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
An event every day that begins at 11:00 am, repeating until July 30, 2022
This ongoing program runs from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday, July 26, to Saturday, July 30.
Each day this week is dedicated to digging into one aspect of our geological past. Attend one program, stop by for a couple or join us every day this week to learn all about fossils. These are drop-in programs; come anytime between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.
Check out the daily schedule:
- Tuesday, July 26: What’s Underneath? Sedimentary, metamorphic, igneous – what type of rock is under our feet in Will County? Learn some geology basics with rock and mineral samples.
- Wednesday, July 27: Name That Fossil. Discover fossils and learn how they are made and how to identify local specimens with fossil games and by making your own fossil rubbings!
- Thursday, July 28: Tully Monster. Illinois is the only place in the world where you can find Tully monster fossils. Learn more about this weird aquatic animal and the questions scientists still have about it. Make your own version of our state fossil out of clay!
- Friday, July 29: Living Dinosaurs. Birds are dinosaurs’ closest-living relatives. Learn about their similarities and differences, then go on a living dino scavenger hunt.
- Saturday, July 30: The Dig. Participate in a dig created by Forest Preserve staff and find out if you have what it takes to be a paleontologist!
We do our best to provide comprehensive, accurate and useful information about events and activities. This information (such as times and locations) is gathered from press releases, websites, signs around town and word of mouth. However, details change and people make mistakes, so please confirm the details before you go. Kidlist is not responsible for any problems that occur while participating in activities listed on this site.
Submit an Event
Click on the button above to submit an event to the Kidlist calendar. We welcome everyone to submit events, given that they are family-friendly, free and/or drop-in, and are local for families in the west and northwest suburbs of Chicago. All submitted events are reviewed by the Kidlist team.