Apple picking is one of the most popular fall activities for making family memories in the midwest. Lucky for us, there are quite a few orchards within a reasonable distance of Chicagoland. Choose one of these nearby orchards and pick your own delicious, healthy apples!
The map below shows the locations of each orchard so you can easily find them on a map when planning your visit. You can click (or touch) each marker for the orchard name, address, and brief description.
Below the map, our list of orchards includes the date they start u-pick, location, phone number, hours, admission/parking fees, and description. Although all information should be current, please call before you go to check picking conditions and hours, as things tend to change!
No results found in this location. Please try again.
Apple Picking 2019: U-Pick Apples Near Chicago and the Suburbs
A few of the orchards have early varieties that are available to pick right now. Our family’s experience has been that the early varieties taste great and are known for being great for apple sauce making, but do not store as well as the varieties that ripen starting around Labor Day. In any case, I recommend that you look at what varieties are available and choose the type of apples you are interested in taking home before you plan your trip.
1050 Crest Road
Libertyville, IL 60048
- Due to the polar vortex and very wet spring, the orchard will likely open mid-September (on a Friday)–and will most likely only be open on Friday dates.
- No admission or parking fees; however at least one person in your party must buy a bag. They accept cash only. 1/2 peck for $10, 1 peck for $20.
- A small, family-run orchard with apple trees for picking. Strollers and wagons are welcome in the orchard.
County Line Orchard
200 S County Line Rd
Hobart, IN 46342
- Opens for the season on August 28, 2019
- U-pick hours: 9 am – 5 pm daily
- General admission for the u-pick area is $1 per person, but admission ranges up to $10 to include all of the attractions. Apples are $1.79/lb
- Kids area with a train ride, play area, and animals, corn maze, observation bee hives, tractor rides to the u-pick apple trees, and gift shop.
19412 Shabbona Road
Malta, IL 60150
- Open August 21, 2019. Corn maze and kids activities opens August 31, 2019.
- Hours: 9 am – 5:30 pm daily
- Admission fees vary for activity areas, including jumping pillow, petting zoo, barn yard play area, corn maze, hayrides, store, and bakery.
Kuiper’s Family Farm
1n145 Watson Road
Maple Park, IL 60151
(815) 827-5200, ext 1
- Open for the season on August 17, 2019
- Hours: Saturdays 9 am – 6 pm and Sundays 10 am – 6 pm, and Columbus Day
- Admission to orchard is $10.99 per person and includes ¼ peck bag of apples and hayride to the grove (conditions permitting). Children 2 and under are free, but don’t receive a bag.
- Strollers, wagons, and backpacks are not permitted in the orchard.
- There are hayrides to the apple grove. They also have a shop and bakery with apple cider doughnuts, caramel apples, and fresh-pressed pasteurized apple cider.
- Pumpkins also available for buying and picking.
5006 South Sylvania Avenue
Sturtevant, WI 53177
- Open for apple picking season August through November.
- Hours: Daily 9 am – 5 pm.
- Minimum of $15 per person to pick apples. 2 and under are free. Military and senior discounts available.
- Admission includes access to outdoor play area, story trail, animals (including a goat bridge that the goats walk over), and more. See all fall events.
- On-site restaurant, bakery with donuts and other treats, and concessions stands.
Plank Road Orchard
50w737 Plank Rd
Sycamore, IL 60178
- U-Pick begins September 15, 2019
- Hours: Saturday 10 am – 5 pm
- Cash or check only
- U-Pick and pre-bagged apples, and homemade baked goods
- 5 lb. pick minimum per person over the age of 6 years old
Prairie Sky Orchard
4914 N Union Road
Union, IL 60180
- Opening August 31, 2019 with limited U Pick starting mid-September
- Free admission and parking
- Store and Koffee Kiosk with coffee, lunch, and a fresh piece of apple pie.
Honey Hill Orchard
11747 Waterman Road
Waterman, IL 60556
- Pick your own season starting late August, dates will be updates as apples ripen.
- Early Season Hours: September 1st, 3rd, & 4th from 9 am – 1 pm.
Regular Season Hours: open daily from 9 am – 5:30 pm September 6th through October 31st.
- Everyone must have a bag to enter the orchard. 2 and under are free.
- Family friendly, smoke and alcohol free facility; outside food and pets are not allowed
- Featuring apples, apple donuts, honey, pies, petting zoo, and wagon rides
All Seasons Orchard
14510 Illinois Route 176
Woodstock, IL 60098
- Open August 31 – November 2, 2019
- Weekdays: 10am – 5pm
Weekends, Labor Day, Columbus Day: 10am – 6pm
- $9.50/person for a 1/4 peck bag of apples (Honeycrisp picking is an additional $3 per person)
- There are different admission fee price points depending on how many activities you would like to participate in.
- Wagon ride to the apple orchard and many 30+ activities including a corn maze, petting zoo, pedal karts, jumping pillow, and more. Please check the website for all the additional activities listed for weekdays and weekends.
11802 Charles Road
Woodstock, IL 60098
- Early apple picking begins July 27, 2019.
- Hours: Monday-Saturday 10 am – 4 pm, Sunday 10 am – 5 pm.
- Family with children have a 1-peck minimum, 4 adults of more have a a 2-peck minimum.
- Free admission and free parking, cash or check only
- Amish jams, jellies, and salsas for sale at the orchard
Apples on Oak will NOT be opening for U-Pick this year. Check their website for more information.
Woodstock Country Orchard – CLOSED FOR 2019
17015 Garden Valley Road
Woodstock, IL 60098
- Hours: Friday 10 am – 2 pm, Saturday – Sunday 9 am – 4 pm, closed Monday – Thursday.
- No admission price; cash or check only for purchases; apples are $8-10 for 1/2 peck
- Quaint farm experience featuring apples, raspberries, and local honey
Lang’s Orchard – CLOSED FOR 2019
17411 Secor Road
Woodstock, IL 60098
- Web site will be updated mid-August with opening dates.
- Open Sat and Sun from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm and closed on weekdays.
- $16/peck for all varieties except Honeycrisp (Honeycrisp and Snowsweet will be sold prepicked only)
- Classic apple picking with a farm store
Our outdoor things to do with kids page has more ideas for enjoying the lovely autumn weather.