My favorite time of year is soon approaching! One of the first outdoor activities of fall is apple picking. This is a great activity to do as a family, one that my children look forward to each year. The weather is typically still warm and sunny, apples are easy to grasp and hold for little hands, and nothing beats a bite of an apple fresh from a tree! Apples store well and can be made into many scrumptious treats- pies, cakes, breads, jelly, and sauce! Choose one of these nearby Chicagoland orchards, and pick your own delicious and healthy apples today.
The map below shows the locations of each orchard so you can easily see where they are when planning which orchard to visit. You can click (or touch) each marker for the orchard name, address, and brief description.
Below the map you will find each apple orchard with the date they start u-pick, location, phone number, hours, admission/parking fees, and description. Although all information should be current, please call before you go to check picking conditions and hours because they are subject to change.
A few of the orchards have early varieties that are available to pick right now. Our family’s experience has been that the early varieties taste great, but do not store as well as the varieties that ripen starting around Labor Day. In any case, I recommend that you look at what varieties are available and choose the type of apples you are interested in taking home before you plan your trip.
No results found in this location. Please try again.
Apple Picking 2018: U-Pick Apples Near Chicago and the Suburbs
This guide is sponsored by Lauren Hunt, a Wealth Manager at Pinnacle Financial Group in Western Springs. Lauren focuses her practice on providing families with peace of mind that they are on the right path to financial security. She offers comprehensive financial planning, retirement planning, college funding analysis, and investment management. If you have any financial questions, call her at (708) 246-6262 or stop by her office (next to Kirschbaums Bakery) in downtown Western Springs.
1050 Crest Road
Libertyville, IL 60048
- Hours will be posted the last week of August. Expect to open mid-September.
- No admission or parking fees; however at least one person in your party must buy a bag. They accept cash only. 1/2 peck for $10, 1 peck for $20.
- A small, family-run orchard with apple trees for picking. Strollers and wagons are welcome in the orchard.
County Line Orchard
200 S County Line Rd
Hobart, IN 46342
- Opened for the season on August 29, 2018
- U-pick hours: 9 am – 5 pm daily
- General admission for the u-pick area is $1 per person, but admission ranges up to $10 to include all of the attractions. Apples are $1.79/lb
- Kids area with a train ride, play area, and animals, corn maze, observation bee hives, tractor rides to the u-pick apple trees, and gift shop.
Apples on Oak
16146 W. Oak Avenue
Lockport, IL 60441
- Open early August–mid October
- Hours: Wednesday and Saturday: 9:00am – 6:00pm, Sunday 10:00am – 5:00pm, but these hours may change according to supply. Make sure to check the website prior to heading out to the farm.
- Free parking and free Admission
- A small orchard with apples in August and September. Due to high demand, their apples are usually gone by early October.
19412 Shabbona Road
Malta, IL 60150
- Open August 15, 2018. Corn maze opens September 1, 2018.
- Hours: 9am – 5:30pm daily
- Admission fees vary for activity areas, including jumping pillow, petting zoo, barn yard play area, corn maze, hayrides, store, and bakery.
Kuiper’s Family Farm
1n318 Watson Road
Maple Park, IL 60151
(815) 827-5200, ext 1
- Open for the season on August 19, 2018
- Hours: Saturdays 9am – 6pm and Sundays 10am – 6pm, and Columbus Day
- Admission to orchard is $10.99 per person and includes ¼ peck bag of apples and hayride to the grove (conditions permitting). Children 2 and under are free, but don’t receive a bag.
- Strollers, wagons, and backpacks are not permitted in the orchard.
- There are hayrides to the apple grove. They also have a shop and bakery with apple cider doughnuts, caramel apples, and fresh-pressed pasteurized apple cider.
- Pumpkins also available for buying and picking.
Plank Road Orchard
50w737 Plank Rd
Sycamore, IL 60178
- Open Labor Day weekend through the beginning of October
- Hours: Saturday and Sunday 10 am – 5 pm
- Cash or check only
- U-Pick and pre-bagged apples, and homemade baked goods
- 5 lb. pick minimum per person over the age of 6 years old
Prairie Sky Orchard
4914 N Union Road
Union, IL 60180
- Opening September, check the website for updated opening date and hours
- Free admission and parking
- Store and Koffee Kiosk with coffee, lunch, and a fresh piece of apple pie.
Honey Hill Orchard
11747 Waterman Road
Waterman, IL 60556
- Pick your own season starting late August
- Family friendly, smoke and alcohol free facility; outside food and pets are not allowed
- Featuring apples, apple donuts, honey, pies, petting zoo, and wagon rides
All Seasons Orchard
14510 Illinois Route 176
Woodstock, IL 60098
- Open September 1, 2018; website will be updated mid-August with hours and pricing
- There are different admission fee price points depending on how many activities you would like to participate in. Children 2 and under are free. Apple picking only: $8/child includes a 1/4 peck bag, $13/adult includes a 1/2 peck bag (Honeycrisp picking is an additional $3/person)
- Wagon ride to the apple orchard and many 30+ activities including a corn maze, petting zoo, pedal karts, jumping pillow, and more. Please check the website for all the additional activities listed for weekdays and weekends.
Woodstock Country Orchard
17015 Garden Valley Road
Woodstock, IL 60098
- Hours: Friday 10 am – 2 pm, Saturday – Sunday 9 am – 4 pm, closed Monday – Thursday.
- No admission price; cash or check only for purchases; apples are $8-10 for 1/2 peck
- Quaint farm experience featuring apples, raspberries, and local honey
17411 Secor Road
Woodstock, IL 60098
- Picking begins September 8, 2018
- Open Sat and Sun from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm and closed on weekdays.
- $16/peck for all varieties except Honeycrisp (Honeycrisp and Snowsweet will be sold prepicked only)
- Classic apple picking with a farm store
11802 Charles Road
Woodstock, IL 60098
- Hours: Monday-Saturday 10am – 4pm, Sunday 12 – 5pm
- Free admission and free parking, cash or check only
- Amish jams, jellies, and salsas for sale at the orchard
Our outdoor things to do with kids page has more ideas for enjoying the lovely autumn weather.