Apple picking is one of the most popular fall activities for making family memories in the midwest. Lucky for us, there are quite a few orchards within a reasonable distance of Chicagoland. My kids love sitting on their Dad’s shoulders and picking the most red apple they can find. Our favorite part, of course, is sampling the product, as we pick! We pick a variety of apples for eating and baking. We have learned many tips from our apple picking adventures, that we included below. Choose one of these nearby orchards and pick your own delicious, healthy apples!
Map: Apple Picking Near Me
The map below shows the locations of each orchard so you can easily find one near you.
Below the map, our list of orchards includes the date they start u-pick, location, phone number, hours, admission/parking fees, and description. Although all information should be current, please call before you go to check picking conditions and hours, as things tend to change!
Details for Apple Picking 2020: U-Pick Apples Near Chicago and the Suburbs
A few of the orchards have early varieties that are available to pick right now. Our family’s experience has been that the early varieties taste great and are known for being great for apple sauce making, but do not store as well as the varieties that ripen starting around Labor Day. In any case, I recommend that you look at what varieties are available and choose the type of apples you are interested in taking home before you plan your trip. One trick we have learned is to store the apples in a ziplock bag with a damp paper towel inside. This helps preserve the apples for 60-90 days!
1050 Crest Road
Libertyville, IL 60048
- Opening mid-September
- No admission or parking fees; however at least one person in your party must buy a bag. They accept cash only. 1/2 peck for $10, 1 peck for $20.
- A small, family-run orchard with apple trees for picking. Strollers and wagons are welcome in the orchard.
- No field trips or large groups
County Line Orchard
200 S County Line Rd
Hobart, IN 46342
- Open September 2 – November 1, 2020.
- U-pick hours: 9 am – 5 pm daily
- General admission for the u-pick area is $1 per person, but admission ranges up to $10 to include all of the attractions. Apples are $1.79/lb
- Kids area with a train ride, play area, and animals, corn maze, observation bee hives, tractor rides to the u-pick apple trees, and gift shop.
19412 Shabbona Road
Malta, IL 60150
- U-pick opening August 29, 2020.
- Hours: 9:00 am – 5:30 pm daily
- Admission fees vary for activity areas, including jumping pillow, petting zoo, barn yard play area, corn maze, hayrides, store, and bakery.
- Number of guests will be limited and you need advanced reservations to enter on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and holidays. Head to their website for general admission tickets.
Kuiper’s Family Farm
1n145 Watson Road
Maple Park, IL 60151
(815) 827-5200, ext 1
- Open for the season on August 22, 2020.
- Hours: Saturdays 9:00 am – 6:00 pm and Sundays 10:00 am – 6:00 pm, and Columbus Day
- Admission to orchard is $10.99 per person and includes ¼ peck bag of apples and hayride to the grove (conditions permitting). Children 2 and under are free, but don’t receive a bag.
- Strollers, wagons, and backpacks are not permitted in the orchard.
- There are hayrides to the apple grove. They also have a shop and bakery with apple cider doughnuts, caramel apples, and fresh-pressed pasteurized apple cider.
- Pumpkins also available for buying and picking starting September 19, 2020 with attractions.
5006 South Sylvania Avenue
Sturtevant, WI 53177
- Open for apple picking season August 6, 2020 through November.
- Hours: Daily 9:00 am – 4:00 pm. Last arrival time is 3:00 pm.
- Minimum of $15 per person; everyone entering the orchard must buy a bag. 2 and under are free. Military and senior discounts available.
- On-site restaurant, bakery with donuts and other treats, and concessions stands. They will not be providing wagons this year.
Honey Hill Orchard
11747 Waterman Road
Waterman, IL 60556
- Pick your own season starting late August, 2020. Dates will be updates as apples ripen.
- Early Season Hours: Early September, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday from 9:00 am – 1:00 pm.
Regular Season Hours: Open daily from 9:00 am – 4:30 pm.
- Everyone must have a bag to enter the orchard. 2 and under are free.
- Family friendly, smoke and alcohol free facility; outside food and pets are not allowed
- Featuring apples, apple donuts, honey, pies, petting zoo, and wagon rides
All Seasons Orchard
14510 Illinois Route 176
Woodstock, IL 60098
- Open August 29 – November 1, 2020
- Weekdays: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
Weekends, Labor Day, Columbus Day: 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Prices not updated for 2020. 2019 prices were: $9.50/person for a 1/4 peck bag of apples (Honeycrisp picking is an additional $3 per person)
- There are different admission fee price points depending on how many activities you would like to participate in.
- Wagon ride to the apple orchard and many 30+ activities including a corn maze, petting zoo, pedal karts, jumping pillow, and more. Please check the website for all the additional activities listed for weekdays and weekends.
11802 Charles Road
Woodstock, IL 60098
- Picking starts the last two weeks of August
- Family with children have a 1-peck minimum, 4 adults of more have a a 2-peck minimum.
- Free admission and free parking, cash or check only
- Amish jams, jellies, and salsas for sale at the orchard
Apple Barn Orchard and Winery
W6384 Sugar Creek Road
Elkhorn, WI 53121
- Apple U-Pick starts mid-September through the end of October. Dates for 2020 coming soon!
- Free admission and parking
- Apple Fest weekends include apple picking, orchard hayrides, apple cider donuts, wine tasting, family entertainment, and more!
3223 Creek Rd.
Plano, IL 60545
- Opening August 1 – end of October, 2020.
- August hours are Saturdays and Sundays from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm. September hours are Friday through Sunday from 9:00 am – 6:00 pm. October hours are Thursday through Sunday from 9:00 am – 6:00 pm.
- Pick 1/4 Peck for $7. 1/2 Peck for $14, or 1/2 Bushel for $40. Every person over 4 years of age must buy a bag to enter the orchard.
- U-Pick pumpkins start at the end of September.
- Playground and train ride are not currently open.
Royal Oak Farm
15908 Hebron Rd.
Harvard, IL 60033
- Opening August 22, 2020
- $7 admission for children ages 4-18 and seniors. Includes 1/4 peck (~3 lb.) bag to fill in the orchard.
- $13 adult admission includes 1/2 peck (~5-6 lb.) bag to fill in the orchard.
- Any one can upgrade their bag or purchase an additional 1 Peck (~10-12 lb.) Bag for $21.
- Children under 4 are free admission, but do not receive a bag.
17411 Secor Road
Woodstock, IL 60098
- U-Pick begins September 12, 2020
- Open Saturdays and Sundays from 11:00am to 4:00pm
- Closed weekdays
- Check website for the schedule of available varieties
2500 Johnson Rd
Oswego, IL 60543
- U-Pick begins in late August
- Open Monday–Friday 9am to 6pm, Saturday & Sunday 9am to 5pm; starting Sept. 12 open 9am-6pm
- No reservations needed
- Admission is $7/person for ¼ peck bag (about 3 lbs), $14/person for ½ peck bag (about 5–6 lbs), $28/person for 1 peck bag (about 10–12 lbs), children 4 and under are free, but do not receive a bag
Caramel Apple Recipe
Looking for something absolutely delicious to do with those apples? Try this caramel apple recipe!
More Outdoor Fun
Our outdoor things to do with kids page has more ideas for enjoying the lovely autumn weather.