Apple picking is one of my family’s favorite fall traditions. My kids love sitting on their Daddy’s shoulders and picking the highest, red apples they can find. (Our favorite part, of course, is sampling the product as we pick!) In the Chicagoland area, we have plenty of orchards to choose from, only a car ride away. We pick a variety of apples for eating and baking pies and treats. Did you know you can keep apples in the fresh for 90 days? We have learned many tips from our apple picking adventures, that we included below. Choose one of these nearby orchards and pick your own delicious, healthy apples!
Map: Apple Picking Near Me
The map below shows the locations of each orchard so you can easily find one near you.
Below the map, our list of orchards includes the date they start u-pick, location, phone number, hours, admission/parking fees, and description. Although all information should be current, please call before you go to check picking conditions and hours, as things tend to change!
Details for Apple Picking 2021: U-Pick Apples Near Chicago and the Suburbs
A few of the orchards have early varieties that are available to pick right now. Our family’s experience has been that the early varieties taste great and are known for being great for apple sauce making, but do not store as well as the varieties that ripen starting after Labor Day. In any case, I recommend that you look at what varieties are available and choose the type of apples you are interested in taking home before you plan your trip. One trick we have learned is to store the apples in a ziplock bag with a damp paper towel inside. This helps preserve the apples for 60-90 days!
Apple Barn Orchard and Winery
W6384 Sugar Creek Road
Elkhorn, WI 53121
- Apple U-Pick starts after Labor Day through the end of October.
- Free admission and parking
- Apple Fest weekends include apple picking, orchard hayrides, apple cider donuts, wine tasting, family entertainment, and more!
1063 US Route 20 E
Elizabeth, IL 61028
- Opening mid-August 2021.
- Small, family owned orchard.
- Great stop to pair with a trip to Galena!
Royal Oak Farm
15908 Hebron Rd.
Harvard, IL 60033
- Opening mid August, 2021.
- $10 admission for all people over 4 years old. Includes 1/4 peck (~3 lb.) bag to fill in the orchard.
- Children under 4 are free admission, but do not receive a bag.
- Wagon rides will not be available for the 2021 season. Wagon drawn tours will be available for an extra charge on select fall weekends.
County Line Orchard
200 S County Line Rd
Hobart, IN 46342
- Open September 1 – November 1, 2021.
- U-pick hours: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm daily
- General admission for the u-pick area is $1 per person, but admission ranges up to $10 to include all of the attractions. Apples are $1.79/lb
- Kids area with a train ride, play area, and animals, corn maze, observation bee hives, tractor rides to the u-pick apple trees, and gift shop.
1050 Crest Road
Libertyville, IL 60048
- Opening mid-September 2021.
- No admission or parking fees; however at least one person in your party must buy a bag. They accept cash only. 1/2 peck for $10, 1 peck for $20.
- A small, family-run orchard with apple trees for picking. Strollers and wagons are welcome in the orchard.
- No field trips or large groups
19412 Shabbona Road
Malta, IL 60150
- U-pick opening August 25, 2021.
- Hours: 9:00 am – 5:30 pm daily
- Admission fees vary for activity areas, including jumping pillow, petting zoo, barn yard play area, corn maze, hayrides, store, and bakery.
- Head to their website for admission tickets to the fall festival here.
Kuiper’s Family Farm
1n145 Watson Road
Maple Park, IL 60151
(815) 827-5200, ext 1
- Open for the season on August 28, 2021. Tickets on sale soon online!
- Hours: Saturdays 9:00 am – 6:00 pm and Sundays 10:00 am – 6:00 pm, and Columbus Day
- Admission to orchard is $11.99 per person and includes ¼ peck bag of apples and hayride to the grove (conditions permitting). Children 2 and under are free, but don’t receive a bag.
- Strollers, wagons, and backpacks are not permitted in the orchard.
- There are hayrides to the apple grove. They also have a shop and bakery with apple cider doughnuts, caramel apples, and fresh-pressed pasteurized apple cider.
- Pumpkins also available for buying and picking starting September 18, 2021 with attractions.
3223 Creek Rd.
Plano, IL 60545
- Opening mid to late August – end of October, 2021.
- Hours are Thursday through Sunday from 10:00 am – 6:00 pm.
- U-pick pricing for 1/4 Peck is $8. Every person over 4 years of age must buy a bag to enter the orchard.
- U-Pick pumpkins start at the end of September.
- Playground and activities cost $10 per person and the train ride cost $3 per ride or $5 all day. Masks are required for the train ride for those unvaccinated.
5006 South Sylvania Avenue
Sturtevant, WI 53177
- Open for apple picking season mid August through November.
- Hours: Daily 9:00 am – 3:00 pm. Last arrival time is 2:00 pm.
- 2020 prices were a minimum of $15 per person; everyone entering the orchard must buy a bag. 2 and under are free. Military and senior discounts available.
- On-site restaurant, bakery with donuts and other treats, and concessions stands. They will not be providing wagons this year.
Honey Hill Orchard
11747 Waterman Road
Waterman, IL 60556
- Pick your own season starting early September 2021. Dates will be updates as apples ripen.
- Early Season Hours: Early September, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday from 9:00 am – 1:00 pm.
Regular Season Hours: Open daily from 9:00 am – 5:30 pm.
- Everyone must have a bag to enter the orchard. 2 and under are free.
- Family friendly, smoke and alcohol free facility; outside food and pets are not allowed
- Featuring apples, apple donuts, honey, pies, petting zoo, and wagon rides
All Seasons Orchard
14510 Illinois Route 176
Woodstock, IL 60098
- Opening August 28, 2021.
- Weekdays: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
Weekends, Labor Day, Columbus Day: 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Prices not updated for 2021. 2020 prices were: $9.50/person for a 1/4 peck bag of apples (Honeycrisp picking is an additional $3 per person)
- There are different admission fee price points depending on how many activities you would like to participate in. Admission tickets available online.
- Wagon ride to the apple orchard and many 30+ activities including a corn maze, petting zoo, pedal karts, jumping pillow, and more. Please check the website for all the additional activities listed for weekdays and weekends.
11802 Charles Road
Woodstock, IL 60098
- Picking has started already for 2021!
- Family with children have a 1-peck minimum, 4 adults of more have a a 2-peck minimum.
- Free admission and free parking, cash or check only
- Amish jams, jellies, and salsas for sale at the orchard
2500 Johnson Rd
Oswego, IL 60543
- U-Pick begins in late August 2021.
- Open Saturdays & Sundays 9:00 am to 6:00 pm.
- No reservations needed.
- 2020 pricing was listed as: Admission $7/person for ¼ peck bag (about 3 lbs), $14/person for ½ peck bag (about 5–6 lbs), $28/person for 1 peck bag (about 10–12 lbs), children 4 and under are free, but do not receive a bag.
Caramel Apple Recipe
Looking for something absolutely delicious to do with those apples? Try this caramel apple recipe!
Orchards Closed for the 2021 Season
17411 Secor Road
Woodstock, IL 60098
More Outdoor Fun
Our outdoor things to do with kids page has more ideas for enjoying the lovely Autumn weather.