As summer turns to fall, the apples are beginning to ripen in the orchards, and it’s time for apple picking to begin! This time-honored family tradition is a beautiful way to celebrate the changing seasons and let kids get hands-on with picking their own food. Some orchards are mostly focused on U-Pick, while others have bakeries with fall treats, and others offer outdoor play areas. Be sure to check ahead of time if you have your heart set on a certain variety of apple; some spots keep their social media updated, while others encourage calling ahead.
Map: Apple Picking Near Me
The map below shows the locations of each orchard so you can easily find one near you.
Below the map, our list of orchards includes the date they start u-pick, location, phone number, hours, admission/parking fees, and description. Although all information should be current, please call before you go to check picking conditions and hours, as things tend to change!
Details for Apple Picking 2022: U-Pick Apple Orchards
A few of the orchards have early varieties that are available to pick right now. Early varieties taste great and are known for being great for apple sauce making, but do not store as well as the varieties that ripen starting after Labor Day. In any case, look at what varieties are available and choose the type of apples you are interested in taking home before you plan your trip. One trick from Nicole last year: store the apples in a Ziploc bag with a damp paper towel inside. This helps preserve the apples for 60 to 90 days!
The Valley Orchard
811 E. State Street
Cherry Valley, IL 61016
- Apple U-Pick and bakery with cider donuts and more usually open the last week of August; 2022 opening date not set as of August 16
- They recommend calling ahead for fruit availability
Apple Barn Orchard and Winery
W6384 Sugar Creek Road
Elkhorn, WI 53121
- Apple U-Pick starts after Labor Day through the end of October
- Free admission and parking
1063 US Route 20 E
Elizabeth, IL 61028
- Usually opens mid-August for apple picking; check their Facebook page for updates
- Small, family owned orchard located en route to Galena
Royal Oak Farm
15908 Hebron Rd.
Harvard, IL 60033
- Farm and country kitchen open daily after August 20, 2022
- $12/person admission includes orchard and pollination garden access and 1/4 peck (3lb.) bag to fill in the orchard. Check website for additional pricing.
- Located en route to Lake Geneva
County Line Orchard
200 S County Line Rd
Hobart, IN 46342
- Opens August 31, 2022
- U-pick hours: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm daily
- General admission for the u-pick area is $2/person; pay-for-what-you-pick is $1.79/lb.
- Kids area with a train ride, play area, and animals, corn maze, observation bee hives, tractor rides to the u-pick apple trees, and gift shop. Admission ranges up to $12 to include all of the attractions; see website for attraction pricing.
1050 Crest Road
Libertyville, IL 60048
- Estimated opening mid-September, 2022; check their Facebook page for updates
- No admission or parking fees; however at least one person in your party must buy a bag. They accept cash only.
- A small, family-run orchard with apple trees for picking. Strollers and wagons are welcome in the orchard.
- No field trips or large groups; no bathrooms available
19412 Shabbona Road
Malta, IL 60150
- U-Pick information for 2022 is not yet available. Check website for updates.
- The 2022 fall festival begins Saturday, August 27; find tickets and info here.
- Admission fees vary for activity areas, including jumping pillow, petting zoo, barn yard play area, corn maze, hayrides, store, and bakery.
Kuiper’s Family Farm
1n145 Watson Road
Maple Park, IL 60151
(815) 827-5200, ext 1
- Open for the season on August 27, 2022
- See website for hours and discounted online admission ($10.99/person online, $12.99 at the gate). Admission includes ¼ peck bag of apples and hayride to the grove; everyone entering must purchase admissions. Children 2 and under are free, but don’t receive a bag.
- Strollers, wagons, and backpacks are not permitted in the orchard.
- There are hayrides to the apple grove. They also have a shop and bakery with apple cider doughnuts, caramel apples, and fresh-pressed pasteurized apple cider.
3223 Creek Rd.
Plano, IL 60545
- Open August 4 through October 31, 2022
- Hours are Thursday through Sunday from 10:00 am – 6:00 pm.
- U-pick pricing for 1/4 Peck is $11; must purchase one bag for every two people in your group
- Buy play yard day passes online. Playground and activities cost $14/person on weekends, Labor Day, and Columbus Day, and $11/person on Thursdays or Fridays. Kids 2 and under are free; ages 55+ are $5. (Adults and kids must both buy tickets.) Train rides cannot be purchased online and are $4/ride or $6/all-day pass.
- Season passes are also available.
5006 South Sylvania Avenue
Sturtevant, WI 53177
- Open for the season as of mid-August, 2022
- Hours: Daily 9:00 am – 3:00 pm. Last arrival time is 2:00 pm.
- Minimum of $20/per person (1/4 peck bag, or about 2.5lb); everyone entering the orchard must buy a bag.
- Farm park admission includes access to Big Kids Korral Play Area, including play structures and a corn box, as well as multiple mazes, farm animals, a goat bridge, a Jack and the Beanstalk story trail, and more.
- On-site restaurant, bakery with donuts and other treats, and concessions stands.
Honey Hill Orchard
11747 Waterman Road
Waterman, IL 60556
- Pick your own season starting early September 2022. Dates will be updates as apples ripen.
- Everyone must have a bag to enter the orchard. 2 and under are free.
- Featuring apples, apple donuts, honey, pies, petting zoo, and wagon rides
All Seasons Orchard
14510 Illinois Route 176
Woodstock, IL 60098
- Opening August 20, 2022
- Open weekdays 10:00 am – 5:00 pm and weekends, Labor Day, and Columbus Day 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Prices are $11/child for a 1/4 peck bag of apples and $17/adult for a 1/2 pack bag of apples. (Honeycrisp picking begins mid-September and is an additional $4 per person.) Everyone over age 2 must have an apple bag.
- Barnyard tickets prices per person are $12 on weekdays and $17 on weekends, Labor Day, and Columbus Day for ages 3-64. Kids 2 and under are free, and there is a $3 discount for ages 65+ and active military with ID.
- Wagon ride to the apple orchard and barnyard for activities including a corn maze, petting zoo, pedal karts, jumping pillow, and more. Some activities have an additional fee; please check the website for all the additional activities listed for weekdays and weekends.
11802 Charles Road
Woodstock, IL 60098
- Picking started early August, 2022
- A one-peck bag is $20. Family with children have a 1-peck minimum; 4 adults or more have a a 2-peck minimum.
- Free admission and free parking, cash or check only
- Amish jams, jellies, and salsas for sale at the orchard
- They keep the voicemail at (815) 338-7443 updated with picking information and currently ripe varieties
2500 Johnson Rd
Oswego, IL 60543
- U-Pick begins in late August 2021
- Open Saturdays & Sundays 9:00 am to 6:00 pm.
- No reservations needed.
- 2020 pricing was listed as: Admission $7/person for ¼ peck bag (about 3 lbs), $14/person for ½ peck bag (about 5–6 lbs), $28/person for 1 peck bag (about 10–12 lbs), children 4 and under are free, but do not receive a bag.
17411 Secor Road
Woodstock, IL 60098
- Opens September 10, 2022
- Open Saturdays and Sundays from 11:00am to 4:00pm; closed weekdays
- U-pick apples are $20/peck (1/4 bushel). No parking or admission fee.
- See website for varieties and schedule
Caramel Apple Recipe
Looking for something absolutely delicious to do with those apples? Try this caramel apple recipe! Annie’s got tips and tricks for helping them turn out beautifully.
Our outdoor things to do with kids page has more ideas for enjoying the lovely Autumn weather.