The Museum Adventure Pass offers a number of deals, discounts, and sometimes even free passes to museums and popular attractions in the area. These include zoos, a variety of museums, and botanical gardens. Review our list below and during the next visit to your local library, be sure to ask about the pass you are interested in. Don’t forget to bring your library card, as you will need it to check out your pass. While you’re there, you may even find a book to learn more your upcoming experience! Passes are good for one use and must be returned after one week.
Museum Adventure Pass
Passes are available on a first-come, first-served basis. You cannot hold or check out passes online or on the phone. Availability varies in each library.
Air Classics Museum of Aviation
44W546 US Route 30
Sugar Grove, IL 60554-9886
- Pass Benefit: Admits one person free with one paid adult admission ($10). Saturdays and Sundays only. One pass per family/group.
- Regular Prices: General admission is $10/adults (16–61) $7/seniors (62+), and $5/children (5–15).
- Open April to November.
- Features aviation memorabilia and aircrafts from the 1930s to current times.
American Writers Museum
180 N Michigan Ave, 2nd Floor
Chicago, Illinois 60601
- Pass Benefit: Half off adult museum admission. Special exhibits are free with museum admission.
- Regular Prices: General admission is $14/adults, $9/seniors, teachers, and students. (Must show valid identification.) Free for children 12 and younger.
- Visit their interactive Children’s Literature Gallery for family friendly books and cozy reading spots.
Aurora Regional Fire Museum
53 N. Broadway,
Aurora, Illinois 60505
- Pass Benefit: Buy one, get one free (of equal or lesser value). Only valid for general admission.
- Regular Prices: $5 general admission for ages 3 and up. Children ages 2 and younger are free.
- Open Wednesday to Saturday from 10:00am – 4:00pm.
- Displays include Aurora Fire Department history and artifacts while promoting the importance of fire prevention and safety.
Bess Bower Dunn Museum of Lake County
1899 West Winchester Road,
Libertyville, IL 60048
- Pass Benefit: Good for two general admission tickets.
- Regular Prices: Resident rates: $6/adults; $3/seniors ages 62, youth ages 4–17, and students ages 18–25 (with valid identification). Children under 3 are free.
Non resident rates: $10/adults; $6/seniors ages 62 and up, youth ages 4–17, and students ages 18–25. Children under 3 are free.
- Check out their website for special discounts on Tuesday. Open Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday 10:00pm – 4:30pm and Sundays 12:00pm – 4:30pm.
- Learn about dinosaurs, innovation, and experience the sensory friendly hour or arts and crafts using all natural materials.
Bronzeville Children’s Museum
9301 South Stony Island Avenue
Chicago, IL 60617
- Pass Benefit: Buy one, get one free. Limit is two free admissions per family.
- Regular Prices: $5/person. Memberships available.
- Open Wednesdays through Saturdays, 10:00am – 2:00pm.
- The first and only African-American children’s museum in the country, featuring informative curated exhibits and interactive play.
8400 W 31st Street
Brookfield, IL 60513
- Pass Benefit: Admits two. (Passes are valid for Brookfield Zoo only and does not include parking or admission to any internal exhibits or attractions, such as Dolphin Show, Butterflies!, Children’s Zoo, Temporary exhibits, Motor Safari, etc.)
- Regular Prices: General zoo admission is $24.95 for adults, $19.95 for seniors 65+, and $17.95 for children 3–11. Admission is free for all active, reservist, and retired members of the military. Parking is $15 per car. Some attractions priced separately; see the Hours and Prices page.
- Check out our insider tips for the Brookfield Zoo!
1S151 Winfield Road
Wheaton, IL 60189
- Pass Benefit: Admits one vehicle. Limited to one car per use.
- Regular Price: Admission is free; parking is $5 per vehicle except on Saturdays and Sundays from May through September, as well as Labor Day Monday and the Fourth of July, when it is $10.
- Check out our article on What to Expect at Cantigny Park!
Chicago Botanic Garden
1000 Lake Cook Road
Glencoe, IL, 60022
- Pass Benefit: General admission for a family of four (up to two adults) during public hours. Includes parking for one vehicle.
- Regular Price: Admission is no longer free. Plan-ahead pricing began February 2022; prices vary, but for Cook County residents, admission starts from $9.95 for adults and $7.95 for children. For non Cook Country residents, prices are $2 more for each age group. Children under 3 are free for both residents and non-residents.
Children’s Museum in Oak Lawn
5100 Museum Drive Oak Lawn
- Pass Benefit: This pass is good for one free child admission with the purchase of an adult admission. Limit one.
- Regular Price: $11/adults and children 1+. $8/seniors, as well as military and veterans with ID. Children under 12 months are free.
- Play-based museum with interactive and educational exhibits and play areas.
Elgin Public Museum
225 Grand Boulevard
Elgin, IL 60120
- Pass Benefit: 10% discount on all museum store purchases.
- Regular Price: $2/adults, $1/children 3 to 12, and free for children under 3.
- Open Thursday to Sunday 12:00pm – 4:00pm.
- Encouraging understanding and awareness of the history of Elgin through programming and interactive experiences.
Elgin History Museum
360 Park Street
Elgin, IL 60120
- Pass Benefit: Admits four over 18 years of age.
- Regular Price: $5 for adults over 18 years of age. Free for Elgin History Museum members and teachers with valid identification.
- Open Wednesday through Saturday from 11:00am – 4:00pm.
- Experience the history of the city of Elgin through exhibits, artifacts and scavenger hunts.
Ellwood House Museum
5009 N First St
DeKalb, Illinois 60115
- Pass Benefit: Pass valid for up to five youth ages 6-17, plus two adults. Not valid for holiday tours or holiday event weekends.
- Regular Price: Mansion tours are $10/adults; $8/students, seniors, AAA members, and military; and $5/youth. Children under 6 are free.
- Check their website for more tour options and hours of operation.
- Historic site featuring the history of the Ellwood family and their contribution to the city.
Geneva Lake Museum
255 Mill St, Lake Geneva,
- Pass Benefit: Buy one, get one free adult entry.
- Regular Price: $9/adults and $8/seniors and college students with ID. Free admission for kids under 18.
- Open Friday through Monday 11:00am – 3:00pm.
- Exhibits showcase the history of Geneva Lake and surrounding areas.
Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center
9603 Woods Drive
Skokie, Illinois 60076
- Pass Benefit: Buy one, get one free entry, from 10:00 am until one hour before the museum closes at 5:00pm (7:00pm on Thursdays). Advance reservations required.
- Regular Price: $18/adult admission, $12/senior admission, $8/student admission, $6/children ages 5-11. Children under 5 are free.
- Exhibits dedicated to honor those who were lost and educate visitors about values that go against hatred and discrimination. Recommended for ages 8 and up.
Illinois Railway Museum
7000 Olson Rd (Mailing: PO Box 427)
Union, IL 60180
- Pass Benefit: Two free passes with the purchase of two, or one free pass with the purchase of one. Available April 24, 2023 through October 30, 2023, excluding July 9, 10, 16, 17. Tickets must be purchased in advance.
- Regular Price: Adult admission is between $12-$16 . Seniors 62+ and youths are between $10-$14. Children ages 2-11 are between $9-$12. Prices depend on date/time.
- America’s largest railway museum with experiences to ride on restored trains.
KidsWork Children’s Museum
11 South White Street
Frankfort, IL 60423
- Pass Benefit: Buy one admission, get one free. Must preregister for your time slot.
- Regular Price: $10/kids and adults; $8/seniors. Infants under 1 are free.
- Closed on Monday.
- Attend weekly programs and experience interactive exhibits including a pet vet, a dinosaur fossil dig, and a tot spot.
Lizzadro Museum of Lapidary Art
220 Cottage Hill Avenue
Elmhurst, IL 60126
- Pass Benefit: Half off admission passes for general museum admission only; maximum of five admissions per pass. Discount not available on Wednesdays. Reservations encouraged, as capacity is limited. Use code: MAP at checkout online.
- Regular Price: Admission is $10/adults, $8/seniors (60+); $5/students, and teens, and children (7-12). Free for children under 7 and active members of the Armed Forces. Wednesdays are free days.
- Closed on Mondays.
- Check out their permanent collections of mosaics, gemstones, rocks, fossils, and more.
Mitchell Museum of the American Indian
3001 Central Street
Evanston, IL 60201
- Pass Benefit: Admits two free for regular museum admission.
- Regular Price: Admission is $7/adults, $5/seniors (60+), and $5/youths and teens. Children under 3 are free.
- Closed on Sundays.
- Features programming, art, history, and displays the culture of Native American and First Nation peoples.
523 South Webster Street
Naperville, IL 60540
- Pass Benefit: Buy one ticket, get one free; maximum of two free tickets per pass. Valid for General Admission only from April 1 – October 31. Not valid for any special events hosted on the museum grounds. Advanced registration is required.
- Regular Price: May – October, $12 for general admission, $10/seniors (62+), and $8/children (4-12). November – April, $6 for general admission, $5/seniors (62+), and $4/children (4-12). Children under 4 and all Naperville residents are always free. See website for proof of residency requirements.
- Connecting community to the history of Naperville by engaging programming and events.
Oriental Institute Museum
1155 E 58th Street
Chicago, IL 60637
- Pass Benefit: One free Museum Explorer’s Guide
- Regular Price: General Admission is free, $10 donation suggested for adults and $5 donation recommended for children and under.
- Please note, the museum elevator is undergoing maintenance through March of 2023 impacting accessibility to some spaces throughout the facility.
- Step back in time as you view galleries highlighting early civilization in Egypt, Syria, Israel and more.
Pleasant Home Foundation
217 Home Avenue
Oak Park, IL 60302
- Pass Benefit: Buy one, get one free tour admission.
- Regular Price: Docent-guided tours are $10/adults, $8/seniors 65+ or students 18+ with I.D., and $7/kids 6-18. Kids 5 and under are free. Illinois teachers also receive free admission. Self-guided tours are $5 per person Friday through Sunday and free on Thursdays.
- Learn more about the grounds and historic architecture of Pleasant Home.
St. Charles Heritage Museum
215 East Main Street
St. Charles, IL 60174
- Pass Benefit: 15% discount on entire gift shop purchase (some exclusions apply).
- Regular Price: Suggested donation of $5/person.
- Displays of photographs and artifacts highlighting the city of St. Charles.
27582 Volo Village Road
Volo, Illinois 60073
- Pass Benefit: Half price admission up to six guests per pass.
- Regular Price: $19.95/ adults, $12.95/ children (ages 5 to 12), $17.95/ seniors, $16.95/ veterans and military with ID, Free for military in uniform and children under 5 years of age.
- Car collection world famous for a variety of unique exhibits of motor cars, one of a kind vehicles, and antiques.
Click here to search for more participating attractions near you.
You can also check out the Explore More Illinois Program.
Participating Libraries in the Western Suburbs
Bensenville Community Public Library District
200 South Church Road
Bensenville, IL 60106
Berwyn Public Library
2701 South Harlem
Berwyn, IL 60402
Brookfield Public Library
3609 Grand Boulevard
Brookfield, IL 60513
Carol Stream Public Library
616 Hiawatha Drive
Carol Stream, IL 60188
Clarendon Hills Public Library
7 North Prospect Avenue
Clarendon Hills, IL 60514
Downers Grove Public Library
1050 Curtiss Street
Downers Grove, IL 60515
Elmhurst Public Library
125 S Prospect Avenue
Elmhurst, IL 60126
Forest Park Public Library
7555 Jackson Boulevard
Forest Park, IL 60130
Franklin Park Public Library District
10311 Grand Avenue
Franklin Park, IL 60131-2225
Glen Ellyn Public Library
400 Duane Street
Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
Helen M Plum Memorial Library
110 West Maple Street
Lombard, IL 60148
Hillside Public Library
405 N. Hillside Avenue
Hillside, IL 60162
Hinsdale Public Library
20 E. Maple Street
Hinsdale, IL 60521
Hodgkins Public Library District
6500 Wenz Avenue
Hodgkins, IL 60525
Indian Prairie Public Library District
401 Plainfield Road
Darien, IL 60561
La Grange Park Public Library District
555 N La Grange Road
La Grange Park, IL 60526
La Grange Public Library
10 West Cossitt Avenue
La Grange, IL 60525
Lisle Library District
777 Front Street
Lisle, IL 60532
Lyons Public Library
4209 Joliet Avenue
Lyons, IL 60534
8419 W 50th Street
McCook, IL 60525
Naperville Public Library
200 West Jefferson Avenue
Naperville, IL 60540
North Riverside Public Library
2400 Des Plaines Avenue
North Riverside, IL 60546
Oak Brook Public Library
600 Oak Brook Road
Oak Brook, IL 60523
Oak Park Public Library
834 Lake Street
Oak Park, IL 60301
River Forest Public Library
735 Lathrop Avenue
River Forest, IL 60305
Riverside Public Library
1 Burling Road
Riverside, IL 60546
Thomas Ford Memorial Library
800 Chestnut Street
Western Springs, IL 60558
Villa Park Public Library
305 South Ardmore Avenue
Villa Park IL, 60181
Westchester Public Library
10700 Canterbury Street
Westchester, IL 60154
Westmont Public Library
428 N Cass Avenue
Westmont, IL 60559
Wheaton Public Library
225 North Cross Street
Wheaton, IL 60187
Woodridge Public Library
3 Plaza Drive
Woodridge, IL 60517
If you are outside the core area for Kidlist, click here to see the full list of participating Museum Adventure Pass libraries
For more ways to explore Chicagoland’s great museums for less, check out our article on Museum Free Days and Discounts on Local Fun.
Mil gracias por la axecibilidad a todos e estos eventos gratuitos y culturales de gran enriquecimiento para pe qwueños y grandes..
This is good info. How do you use it for Illinois Railway Museum? There is a remark saying “Tickets must be purchased in advance”. Do we have to go there a few days in advance to buy the ticket or is there some code we can enter while doing online ticket purchase?
Hi Susan! Great question. You have to call the membership office to have them reserve you tickets with your museum adventure pass. (815) 923-4391
Enjoy your trip!