Wow — where do I even start with this gem of a playground? Diecke Park Discovery Zone in Huntley has got to be one of my favorite playgrounds in the Chicago suburbs! The design committee worked closely with the Northern Illinois Special Recreation Association to make the playground truly accessible.
Deicke Park Discovery Zone Playground in Huntley
When we first arrived at the location, we were greeted by a smaller playground and a huge metal slide (think big!). The playground across the parking lot was colorful, gated, and looked to be perfect for toddlers and preschoolers.
Features of Deicke Park Discovery Zone
Upon walking in, we were greeted by a huge sandpit with a water feature for some messy sand play, a train slide, diggers and sand toys. Bring your sand toys and extra clothes!
There were hoops of varying heights to offer kids of different heights abilities a chance to shoot hoops. I also appreciate that it was fenced separately, which meant there was a lower risk of the ball hitting other kids in the nearby areas. Be sure to bring your own ball!
On the right, across the sandpit, are play town-themed structures excellent for imaginative play. Behind this section, there were see saws.
With a fire truck, trains, and school bus play structures, the vehicle theme is evident throughout the playground.
This school themed section is complete with a fun school bus and more slides.
Here’s why this is one of my favorite playgrounds in Chicagoland:
- It’s gated. You know you won’t lose your kids!
- There are rubber mats/turf on most of the playsets, as well as lots of concrete pavement to cater to wheelchairs and strollers.
- It’s shady, with many trees surrounding this playground.
- There are adult swings! In addition to these huge swings parents can relax in, there are picnic tables, too, so bring a coffee and lunch.
- It’s inclusive. I love how this playground was designed. From basketball hoops of all heights to ramps and slides, it’s catered to kids of different abilities.
- If you have older kids, they can check out the other playground across this park with a huge metal slide. Win-win for all.
Have you been to Deicke Park? Share your experience with us in the comment section. We’d love to hear it!
Deicke Park Discovery Zone Playground
11419 S. Route 47
Huntley, IL 60142
For more outdoor fun, check out our big list of toddler playgrounds.