When it comes to finding the perfect live tree for your home, you have have many Christmas tree farms to choose from! Some families love trekking down to a farm to cut their own Christmas tree: it’s a great family adventure that makes many wonderful memories. Other families want to enjoy the benefits of a live tree, but prefer to find a pre-cut Christmas tree. Whatever you desire, there are many different options and locations to choose from when buying live Christmas trees. Our guide features hours, prices, tips, and more!
Christmas Tree Farms in the South and West Suburbs of Chicago
A few helpful tips when cutting down your Christmas tree:
- Many places provide saws, but consider bringing your own. That way, you know you have a sharp blade (and a dull blade turns a fun event into a hassle).
- Most places have twine as well, but stash some bungees in the trunk. They can be easier to work with.
- Bring a moving blanket to put between the roof of the car and the tree so the car doesn’t get scratched up.
- When you get the tree home, trim the trunk and remove lower branches to make room for presents underneath. Like any other plant that you bring inside, you need to keep it in water and fill up the container when needed.
The Illinois Christmas Tree Association has more tree farms listed on their website if you are willing to travel further, as well as a helpful guide for tree varieties so you can figure out if you want a long needle pine or shorter needle spruce or fir.
There is also a great list of facts and myths about live versus fake Christmas trees at this link.
Local Christmas Tree Farms
2855 Hart Road
Aurora IL, 60502
- Open the weekend before Thanksgiving–December 23, 2018 from 10 am – 7 pm daily
- Bring your flashlight after dark – the fields are not lit.
- Prices: U-Cut Trees – $45, Premium U-Cut Trees – $60, Precut Trees – $9 per foot, Wreaths & Garland – Varies.
- U-Cut fields currently offer Scotch Pine, White Pine and Austrian Pine ranging from 6–8 feet tall and a limited supply of 8+ foot tall trees.
- Tree shaking, netting, and assistance are complimentary.
Spring Bluff Nursery
41W130 Norris Road
Sugar Grove, IL 60554
- Open November 23–25, December 1–2, and December 8-9 from 9 am – 4 pm.
- Prices: Any size/type of tree is approximately $50 (cash, check or charge).
- Free hay rides to the tree fields and free hot chocolate.
Bengston Tree Farm
10919 W. Wilmington Rd.
Peotone, IL 60468
- As of publication of this article, the farm was set to open for the 2018 season, but had not announced a date.
- 8 varieties of tree to choose from
- Tree shaking and wrapping are available for a $3 a piece. They offer free tree retrieval service to bring your tree out of the field for you and you can warm up by a wood burning stove while they take care of your tree. Hot chocolate is available.
Kuipers Family Farm
1N318 Watson Road
Maple Park, IL 60151
- October 31–December 16, 2018, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm daily.
- Fresh-cut Pine and Fir trees. Trees are individually priced.
- Included with your tree purchase: Shaking to remove the loose needles, baled, and an apple cider doughnut for everyone in your group.
- U-Cut trees are available in a very limited supply for 2018.
45W002 Lees Road
Lily Lake, IL 60151
- Open Friday, November 23, 2018 from 9 am – 5 pm and continues weekends from 9 am – 5 pm through December 17 or sold out.
- Prices: Each tree tagged individually; average price is $67. Pick from 4-foot to 9-foot Scotch pine, White pine, Canaan fir, Fraser fir, Balsam fir, and Serbian and Norway spruce.
- Will help shake, bale, and load at no extra cost.
- Precut trees are harvested weekly. They shake all of the trees clean, bale them and help you load it for no charge. They also offer free hot chocolate, coffee, fresh popcorn and homemade cookies.
41W651 Powers Road
Huntley, IL 60142
- Open starting Friday, November 23, 2018 at 9:00 am. After that, open on Saturdays and Sundays from 9:00 am until dusk.
- Prices: Pines are $65 for any size and Firs and Spruces are $85 for any size. Prices include saws, twine, shaking and baling of the tree.
- The pre-cut Fraser Firs are specially cut for them just before Thanksgiving and set in buckets of water to keep them really fresh. Start at $75 and up, depending on the height (cash or check).
Larson’s Family Farm
4404 Somonauk Road
Sandwich, IL 60548
- Open the Friday after Thanksgiving Day with special hours from 9:00 am – 4:30 pm. Regular hours begin the next day through December 9, 2018. Closed on Mondays, open 2:00 pm – 4:30 pm Tuesdays–Fridays, and 9:00 am – 4:30 pm each Saturday and Sunday.
- Prices: All trees are $38 (cash or check only, prices included sales tax).
- More than 18 acres of cut-your-own Chrsitmas trees in the following varieties: Caanan Fir (Like Frazier Fir), Concolor Fir, Douglas Fir, Norway Spruce, Scotch Pine, and White Pine.
- They offer saws, shaking, and baling at no additional cost.
Tammen Treeberry Farm
37131 Essex Road
Wilmington, IL 60481
- Open daily for the season starting the day after Thanksgiving from 8:00 am – 4:30 pm.
Ben’s Tree Farm
7719 Ryan Road
Harvard, IL 60033
- Open Fridays–Sundays starting November 23 through December 23, 2018, 9:30 am – 4:00 pm.
- Prices: $6.25–$9.25 per foot with tool provided (cash or check). Pines are generally $6.25 per foot, and most firs are $9.25 per foot.
- 9 varieties of firs and pines from 6 to 12 feet tall on 55 acres.
- Free shake and bale of trees by staff.
- Complimentary hot chocolate or coffee in the warming barn.
13332 Bell Road
Lemont, IL 60439
- Starting the day after Thanksgiving, open 7 days a week from 3:00 pm – 7:00 pm, and 10:00 am – 7:00 pm Friday through Sunday.
- Frasier trees ranging from 4–12 feet tall.
Sonny Acres Farms
29W310 North Avenue
West Chicago, IL 60185
- As of publication of this article, an official opening date has not yet been announced.
- Thousands of trees available ranging 3–15 feet tall.
- Fraser Fir, Balsam Fir, White Pine, Black Hills Spruce, and more.
- Offers a full service lot that will cut, bale, and tie.
Pioneer Tree Farm
4614 Pioneer Road
McHenry, IL 60051
- Open 9:00 am – 4:00 pm the Friday after Thanksgiving, and Saturdays and Sundays through Sunday December 16, 2018.
- Prices: $60 for any tree (cash or check).
- Wagon rides to and from the pines, tree shaking and baling, hot coffee and cocoa in the warming house, and handsaws are included at no extra charge.
Richardson Adventure Farm
9407 Richardson Road
Spring Grove, IL 60081
- Open the day after Thanksgiving through December 23, open 9 am – 6 pm.
- All cut your own trees are $68, select trees, individually priced, in the field available for as low as $29 (cash or check).
- Precut trees, individually priced, available up to 12′ high.
- Free hot chocolate or coffee, complimentary shaking and baling of trees, and handsaws provided.
- On weekends, wagon rides to the farm are available.
Local Christmas Tree Lots
Maybe hauling the family down to one of the many U-Cut farms is not an option or of interest to you, but you still love that fresh-cut Christmas tree smell. There are still tons of options. Many Christmas tree lots are full service, which includes cut, bale, and tie. This allows your family to still have the flexibility of choosing that perfect tree for you home. Even easier, most of the listed lots have pre-cut, baled, and tied trees also available. Check below for some of the local lots.
- Greater LaGrange YMCA: Ogden Avenue just east of LaGrange Road
- Home Depot: various locations
- Menards: various locations
- Costco: various location
- Ace Hardware: 900 E 31st Street in LaGrange Park
- Fuller’s Carwash: 5550 S Brainard Avenue in Countryside
- Fuller’s Service Center: 102 W Chicago Avenue in Hinsdale
- Luurs Garden Shoppe: 5200 Butterfield Road in Hillside
- Cosley Zoo: 1356 N Gary Avenue in Wheaton
- Wannemaker’s: 1940 Ogden Avenue in Downers Grove
- Jim Melka Landscaping: 11606 179th Street in Mokena
- Alsip Nursery: 20601 S. LaGrange Road in Frankfort
- Lions Club Christmas Tree & Wreath Sale : 14700 S. Ravinia Avenue in Orland Park
- McCarthy Farm Stand: 6700 West 167th Street in Orland Park