The fresh air, smell of pine, and finding that perfect tree . . . It must be Christmas time! This is one holiday tradition sure to thrive this year. As a child, driving out to the Christmas trees farm with carols playing, standing in the cold until we found the perfect tree, and then having cookies and hot chocolate while we all cut it down . . . that was the start of the holiday season in my family! Sharing those traditions with my own children makes the season bright.
Christmas Tree Farms in Chicago’s Western (and a Bit Beyond) Suburbs
For the adventure lovers, we have a plethora of farms to cut down your own trees. For those that would rather leave the saw work to the professionals, we have you covered, too. There are plenty of tree farms and nurseries that have fresh Christmas trees ready to go! Whichever way you chose to find your Christmas tree this year, we wish you a happy holiday season!
A few helpful tips when cutting down your Christmas tree:
- Many places provide saws, but consider bringing your own. That way, you know you have a sharp blade (and a dull blade turns a fun event into a hassle).
- Most places have twine as well, but stash some ratchet straps in the trunk. They can be easier to work with.
- Bring a moving blanket to put between the roof of the car and the tree so the car doesn’t get scratched up.
- When you get the tree home, trim the trunk and remove lower branches to make room for presents underneath. Like any other plant that you bring inside, you need to keep it in water and fill up the container when needed.
- Remember to bring a mask when social distancing is not possible during checkout times.
The Illinois Christmas Tree Association has more tree farms listed on their website if you are willing to travel further, as well as a helpful guide for tree varieties so you can figure out if you want a long needle pine or shorter needle spruce or fir.
There is also a great list of facts and myths about live versus fake Christmas trees at this link.
Local Christmas Tree Farms
2855 Hart Road
Aurora IL, 60502
- Open November 21 – December 23, 2020
- Reservations required for cut-your-own and pre-cut trees.
- Bring your flashlight after dark; the fields are not lit.
- Prices: U-Cut Trees – $55, Premium U-Cut Trees – $68, Precut Trees – $10.50 – $15.00 per foot, Wreaths & Garland – Varies.
- U-Cut fields currently offer Scotch Pine, White Pine and Austrian Pine ranging from 6–8 feet tall and a limited supply of 8+ foot tall trees. Spruce and firs are premium U-Cuts also offered and tagged in the field.
- Tree shaking, netting, and assistance are complimentary.
Spring Bluff Nursery
41W130 Norris Road
Sugar Grove, IL 60554
- Open November 27–November 29, December 5–6, and December 12–13, 2020 from 9 am – 4 pm.
- Free hay rides to the tree fields and free hot chocolate.
Bengston Tree Farm
10919 W. Wilmington Rd.
Peotone, IL 60468
- The farm will open Friday, November 27, 2020 and will be open Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays from 9:30am – 4:30pm or dusk.
- 8 varieties of trees to choose from; all U-Cut trees are $89.
- Tree shaking and wrapping are available for a $3 a piece. Free tree retrieval service. Hot chocolate is available.
Kuipers Family Farm
1N318 Watson Road
Maple Park, IL 60151
- Opens November 27, 2020 for trees and runs Thursdays–Sundays, 10 am – 5 pm.
- Limited amount of U-Cut trees are $89 any size.
- Fresh-cut pine and fir trees. Trees are individually priced.
- Included with your tree purchase: Shaking to remove the loose needles, baled, and an apple cider doughnut for everyone in your group.
45W002 Lees Road
Lily Lake, IL 60151
- Open Sunday, November 22, 2020 from 9am – 4:30pm and continues weekends and the Friday after Thanksgiving from 9am – 4:30 pm through December 20, 2020 or sold out.
- Prices: Each tree tagged individually; average price is $75. Pick from 4-foot to 9-foot Scotch pine, White pine, Canaan fir, Fraser fir, Balsam fir, and Serbian and Norway spruce.
- Will help shake, bale, and load at no extra cost.
- Precut trees are harvested weekly.
- Offer free hot chocolate, coffee, fresh popcorn and homemade cookies.
41W651 Powers Road
Huntley, IL 60142
- The season will be November 27–29, December 5–6, 12–13, 19–20 from 9am – 4pm.
- Prices: Pines are $70 for any size and firs and spruces are $90 for any size. Prices include saws, twine, shaking and baling of the tree.
- The pre-cut Fraser firs are specially cut for them just before Thanksgiving and set in buckets of water to keep them really fresh. Starts at $75 and up, depending on the height (cash or check).
Larson’s Family Farm
4404 Somonauk Road
Sandwich, IL 60548
- Open the Friday after Thanksgiving Day with special hours from 9am – 4pm. Regular hours begin the next day through December 19, 2020. Closed on Mondays, open 2pm – 4pm Tuesdays–Fridays, and 9am – 4pm each Saturday and Sunday.
- More than 18 acres of cut-your-own Christmas trees in the following varieties: Caanan Fir (Like Frazier Fir), Concolor Fir, Douglas Fir, Norway Spruce, Scotch Pine, and White Pine. Christmas trees are $45. Cash or checks only.
- They offer saws, shaking, and baling at no additional cost.
Tammen Treeberry Farm
37131 Essex Road
Wilmington, IL 60481
- Open daily for the season starting the day after Thanksgiving from 8:00am – 4:30pm.
- The trees are $60 each regardless of size. Shaking of the tree will be $3 and baling will be $4.
- They will be accepting cash, credit/debit cards and checks.
Ben’s Tree Farm
7719 Ryan Road
Harvard, IL 60033
- Open Fridays–Sundays starting November 27 through December 13, 2020, 9:00am – 4:30pm.
- Prices: $7–$11 per foot with tool provided (cash or check).
- 9 varieties of firs and pines from 6 to 12 feet tall on 55 acres.
- Free shake and bale of trees by staff.
- Complimentary hot chocolate or coffee in the warming barn.
13332 Bell Road
Lemont, IL 60439
- Starting the day after Thanksgiving through December 24.
- Open 7 days a week. Monday through Thursday from 3:00pm – 7:00pm, and 10:00am – 7:00pm Friday through Sunday.
- Frasier trees ranging from 4–12 feet tall.
Sonny Acres Farms
29W310 North Avenue
West Chicago, IL 60185
- Open November 27, 2020
- Thousands of trees available ranging from 3–15 feet tall.
- Fraser Fir, Balsam Fir, White Pine, Black Hills Spruce, and more.
- Offers a full service lot that will cut, bale, and tie.
Pioneer Tree Farm – CLOSED FOR 2020
4614 Pioneer Road
McHenry, IL 60051
- Open 9:00am – 4:00pm the Friday after Thanksgiving, and Saturdays and Sundays (please note that they are closed this year due to COVID-19)
- Farm does not use pesticides.
- Prices: $60 for any tree (cash or check).
- Wagon rides to and from the pines, tree shaking and baling, and handsaws are included at no extra charge.
Cupola House Tree Farm
4030 N 3000W Rd.
Bourbonnais, IL 60914
- Opening Thanksgiving Day, 2020, from 9:30am – 3:00pm. Day after Thanksgiving and weekends, they’ll be open from 8:30 am – 5:00 pm, and on Mondays – Fridays from 9:30am – 5:00pm.
- Cash or check only.
- Free tree shaking and baling.
- Tree prices between $7.75 – $9.00 per foot; plantable trees are $90 each.
Local Christmas Tree Lots
Maybe hauling the family down to one of the many U-Cut farms is not an option or of interest to you, but you still love that fresh-cut Christmas tree smell. You still have choices! Many Christmas tree lots are full service, which includes cut, bale, and tie. This allows your family to still have the flexibility of choosing that perfect tree for you home. Even easier, most of the listed lots have pre-cut, baled, and tied trees also available.
Check below for some of the local lots. Call ahead to ensure hours and availability.
- Greater LaGrange YMCA: Ogden Avenue just east of LaGrange Road
- Home Depot: various locations
- Menards: various locations
- Costco: various location
- Ace Hardware: 900 E 31st Street in LaGrange Park
- Fuller’s Carwash: 5550 S Brainard Avenue in Countryside
- Fuller’s Service Center: 102 W Chicago Avenue in Hinsdale
- Luurs Garden Shoppe: 5200 Butterfield Road in Hillside
- Cosley Zoo: 1356 N Gary Avenue in Wheaton
- Wannemaker’s: 1940 Ogden Avenue in Downers Grove
- Jim Melka Landscaping: 11606 179th Street in Mokena
- Alsip Nursery: 20601 S. LaGrange Road in Frankfort
- McCarthy Farm Stand: 6700 West 167th Street in Orland Park
- Crosswind Farm: 14435 W Manhattan Monee Road in Manhattan
- Platt Hill Nursery: 222 W Lake Street in Bloomingdale