The Playroom at Westmont Yard has three different indoor play areas for little ones to big kids, all for only $6 per kid. There’s the main Playroom, which is the best spot for your littlest kids. The very large room is full of toddler and baby-friendly toys, plus two small bounce houses. The Sports Field next door has two large inflatables with obstacle courses and large slides. The inflatables are great for your strong climbers, and the room itself, a soft Astroturf field, has the most open space for kids to run around or kick a ball. Finally, the Play Tower, a five-level climbing structure with slides and tunnels, is on the upper level.
Is there ample parking? Can you park close?
- There is a very big parking lot.
How much does it cost?
- Open play is $6 per child. Or you can purchase a 5-visit punch card for $25. Your fee gives you access to all three play areas.
When are they open?
- Westmont Yard is a large sports complex, and offers open play only on Monday through Friday from 10:30am-3:00pm. On Friday night, they also have the Playroom open from 5:00pm-8:00pm and the Playtower from 6:45pm-8:00pm. Friday night play also includes a free kids meal at Canyon Burger with the purchase of an adult meal.
- They also have additional open play hours around holidays and school breaks. Check the website for specific details. http://westmontyard.com/op-open-play-westmont-il.html
- The staff says the traffic is heavier in the morning. We arrived at 10:30 and when we left at 1:00, it was a little less crowded, but new kids were coming in for the afternoon shift.
Was it crowded when you went? or About how many kids were there when you went?
- On our visit, the Playroom itself had about 15 kids in it. The Sports Field had about 10 kids, but the ages differed more there. The upstairs Playtower, geared toward older toddlers and up, gets the least traffic. We were the only ones up there for a while, and then two other kids came in.
Are there public bathrooms? Is there a changing table? Are the bathrooms kid-friendly?
- The bathrooms had lots of stalls and a changing table. There is a stepstool for kids to reach the sink.
Is there a private space to nurse?
- No, but Westmont Yard itself is so large, it feels like it would be easy to find an empty corner somewhere.
What was your child’s favorite part of the play area? Least favorite?
- My three-year-old daughter loved all the bouncy houses, but was intimidated by the Playtower. My son, also three, loved the Playtower and the toys in the Playroom.
What was your favorite part? Least favorite?
- I liked the variety of options. Bouncy houses for jumping, slides and stairs for climbing, kitchens for pretend toys, push toys to help new walkers and plenty of space for running around. My least favorite was the obstacle bouncy house in the Sports Field. It was hard to see into it to keep an eye on your child, and my son got a little overwhelmed by the older boys in there with him.
- Yes, very clean.
Was the staff friendly? Attentive? Pleasant?
- Great staff.
Is food allowed? Are there designated snack areas? Is food sold there?
- Outside food is not allowed (although I spotted plenty of it). There is a snack area with a concession stand and vending machines. The attached Canyon Burger restaurant has really good food and really cheap kids meals — $3.19 for sandwich, fries or applesauce and drink. Lunch for me and two kids cost $18, and my chicken sandwich was delicious! They also serve beer.
What ages do you feel the play area caters to?
- The Playroom is probably best for kids five and under. On my visit, most kids were about one or two years old. The Sports Field and Playtower can entertain older kids. This is a great place to take kids of different ages, as there is something to keep everyone occupied.
Is there an infant/baby area? Toddler friendly?
- There is not a separate area, but the Playroom is so large you can easily find a spot for your baby to hang out and there are lots of baby toys to entertain. The Playroom is very toddler friendly, but other areas attract older kids.
Anything else you want to highlight
- There is a great mix of activities, everything is clean, and although it was busy, it never felt crowded. There’s so much to do for a great price.
233 W 63rd Street
Westmont, IL 60559
Review by: Lisa Katzenberger, mom to three-year-old twins.
Thanks Lisa! If anyone has something to add feel free to comment below.
Want to check out other indoor places to play? Click here: Kidlist • Indoor Play Areas