As Illinois transitions into Phase 3 of the “Restore Illinois” plan, we’re keeping you up-to-date on what’s open, what’s cancelled, and more. We’ll continually update this article as more information becomes available. We’ve only included events and venues that have recently provided updated information. If you know of a closure or opening, please email Annie (firstname.lastname@example.org). Thanks!
Restore Illinois: What phase are we in?
What is open this summer?
Please note that parks are open (check out our article about parks with paved paths!), but playgrounds will remain closed until Phase 4.
Cantigny Park will open to park members, Honor Club members, and limited others on June 1. Restrictions include no access to the playground and tanks. They plan to open to the general public later this summer; click here for updates on their phased reopening.
Geneva Park District has opened disc golf, mini golf, and tennis courts with limited hours and additional guidelines. Reservations are required for mini golf; click here to sign up.
Oak Brook Park District is allowing private rentals of Splash Island for up to 8 people, with a cost of $150 for 90 minutes to have the facility to yourself. Register here.
Santa’s Village Amusement Park announced on April 29 that they are now set to open on June 12, 2020. Click here for updates.
Gathering on the Green, which normally takes place in the beginning of June in Western Springs, has been rescheduled for September 12, 2020. More details will be available soon.
Centennial Beach in Naperville is tentatively planning to open on Father’s Day weekend, rather than its usual Memorial Day weekend. Check their website for updates.
The following events have (or are planning to) reschedule:
- Red, White, & Bar-B-Q in Westmont will be rescheduled; dates pending.
- Prairie Fest in Oswego has been rescheduled for September 4-7, 2020 (see website for updates).
- Cantigny Food Truck Festival in Wheaton has been rescheduled for October 17, 2020.
- 2020 Cars & Cops Car Show in Chicago has been rescheduled for September 13, 2020.
- Pleasant Dale Park District has tentatively rescheduled its annual fireworks display for September 5, 2020.
- Glen Ellyn has cancelled the Cardboard Regatta and the Food Truck Festival for 2020, but fireworks are rescheduled for Labor Day 2020. More info here.
What has been canceled this summer or closed for the season?
Pools Closed for 2020
The following pools have decided to not open for the 2020 summer season:
- Philips Park Family Aquatic Center (Aurora)
- The Oasis Water Park (Bloomingdale)
- East End Pool and Smalley Pool (Elmhurst)
- Forest Park Aquatic Center (Forest Park)
- Sunset Pool (Glen Ellyn)
- Sea Lion Aquatic Park (Lisle)
- Paradise Bay Water Park (Lombard)
- Rehm Pool and Ridgeland Pool (Oak Brook)
- Bath & Tennis Club (Oak Brook)
- Civic Center Aquatic Park (Oswego)
- Otter Cove Aquatic Park (Oswego)
- Turtle Splash Water Park (West Chicago)
- Westchester Community Swimming Pool (Westchester)
- Cypress Cove (Woodridge)
Events Cancelled for 2020
The Exchange Club of Naperville has cancelled Ribfest 2020. This was supposed to have been the event’s first year at its new location in Romeoville.
In a May 1 update, Ravinia decided to cancel their 2020 season. This is the first time they canceled the season since the Great Depression. Anyone who purchased tickets can receive refunds or vouchers for future performances, or they can convert those funds into tax-deductible donations. Click here for more information.
SJC Fest at St. John of the Cross in Western Springs is canceled for 2020. Anyone who has purchased mega passes for the carnival should contact Mary Beth Drafz (email@example.com) to learn how to receive a refund. SJC Fest 2021 will be June 24 – 27. Click here for more info.
Eyes to the Skies in Lisle chose to cancel their popular festival when Coronavirus was determined to be a pandemic, but they will be back next year, July 2-4, 2021. Click here for their statement.
Wheaton Park District has announced that all events through July 2020 have been cancelled, including Taste of Wheaton (June 4-7), Municipal Band Concerts (June 18, 25, July 2, 9, 16, 23, 30), Fish-O-Rama (June 20), and the Independence Day Fireworks and Parade (July 3-4).
The following events have also been cancelled this year:
- Rotary GroveFest in Downers Grove (See statement)
- Taste of Wheaton
- Rose Festival in Roselle (See statement and other event cancellations in Roselle)
- A Day in Our Village in Oak Park (See updates on potential alternative)
- Woodridge Jubilee (See statement)
- Daisy Days in Clarendon Hills
- Summerfest 2020 in Villa Park (See statement)
- Taste of Oak Brook
- Taste of Westmont
- DuPage County Fair (See statement)
- 7th Annual Glen Ellyn Vintage Auto Fest
- Glendale Heights Fest
- Itasca Fest
- Taste of Roselle
- Glen Ellyn’s Cardboard Regatta and Food Truck Festival (More info)
For ideas, resources, and encouragement, check out our lifeline for navigating the COVID-19 stay-at-home order with kids.