The 31 days of August are fast approaching and can mean many things. For some of us, sweet relief from summer break: the broken routine, the constant activities, the attempts to plan events, the many messes, and more are almost over. For others, sadness that another summer has gone by with our precious littles, who are growing up faster than we would like. More likely, perhaps a little bit of both.
These feelings usually make August a month when we find ourselves kicking it into high gear, filling the days with leisurely and fun activities before the school routine takes back over. Use the list below to plan out your final month of summer. It’s sure to be a fast one!
The 31 Days of August Guide: Southwest Suburbs
Week One: Things to Do August 1–5
- Wednesday, August 1: Bring some balance into your life and walk the trails at the Hidden Oaks Nature Center in Bolingbrook.
- Thursday, August 2: Chalk and bubbles. Pull out all of your garage activities and spend some time in the driveway soaking up the sweet summertime.
- Friday, August 3: Enjoy food, family and entertainment. Fest it up at Romeoville’s RomeoFest!
- Saturday, August 4: Taste your way around Orland Park’s Taste of Orland Park on Kids’ Day! From 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm, enjoy free face painting, bouncers, touch-a-truck, petting zoo and more.
- Sunday, August 5: Have a picnic. It doesn’t have to be fancy, the backyard will work!
Week 2: Things to Do August 6–12
- Monday, August 6: Pack your beach bag and head over to the Indiana Dunes. Spending the day at the beach is the perfect way to pack in some summer fun.
- Tuesday, August 7: Teach your kids about the National Night Out Against Crime. Visit Homewood, Tinley Park, Frankfort, or Midlothian to learn ways to involve everyone, not just the police, in safety.
- Wednesday, August 8: Hike along the trails of Lake Katherine in Palos Heights. You won’t be disappointed by all there is to explore.
- Thursday, August 9: Run through the sprinklers. If you are extra adventurous, build your own PVC Sprinkler.
- Friday, August 10: Do an outdoor scavenger hunt! Try using one of these free printables.
- Saturday, August 11: Check out the Farm and Barn Fest in Mokena for live entertainment, kids activities, and more!
- Sunday, August 12: If you haven’t made it out to a Farmer’s Market yet, now is the time! Berwyn, Frankfort, and Plainfield all have markets on Sunday. Go for the fresh produce, stay for the live music! Have your child pick out a special fruit or vegetable that they have never tasted.
Week 3: Things to Do August 13–19
- Monday, August 13: Now that you have visited a farmers market, use one of the fruits or vegetables your purchased to cook a special snack or meal with your child. They will love getting to know a new piece of produce.
- Tuesday, August 14: Outdoor pools are scattered all over the suburbs with the option to purchase day passes
- Wednesday, August 15: Visit the Little Red Schoolhouse and walk along the trails, observe the wildlife, and play in their newly updated nature center.
- Thursday, August 16: As school approaches, get your fill of summer activities at the Back to School Fun Fair in Tinley Park!
- Friday, August 17: Head over to the Bolingbrook Jubilee for a carnival, craft show, and car show.
- Saturday, August 18: Check out Homewood’s Block Party and enjoy face painting, jump houses, food, live music, and more.
- Sunday, August 19: Listen to some tunes at the park. Both Orland Park and Midlothian feature live bands on the village green as a part of the summer music concert series. Pick the location closest to you!
Week 4: Things to Do August 20–26
- Monday, August 20: Splash around at a local splash pad. There are plenty of locations all over the southwest suburbs, just take your pick.
- Tuesday, August 21: Catch fireflies! Don’t forget to release them.
- Wednesday, August 22: As we inch closer to school, grab some ice cream together as a family. Plush Horse is a local hotspot.
- Thursday, August 23: Take a family walk after dinner and catch up with your kids, especially about the first days of school (if they have begun).
- Friday, August 24: Many of our kids will be finishing their first week of school (although very short). Help them to burn off those back-to-school jitters and celebrate the weekend with a new-to-you park or new in 2018 park. Either way, parks are great for kids of all ages.
- Saturday, August 25: Ease new school year stress with a family outing of miniature golf. There are tons of locations all over the suburbs.
- Sunday, August 26: Hike at one of best forest preserves trail for kids in the southwest suburbs.
Week 5: Things to Do August 27–31
- Monday, August 27: Do anything outside! Anytime you move an indoor activity to the outdoors, there is always renewed interest. Some good examples are paint, play-doh, or blocks.
- Tuesday, August 28: Backyard BBQ! Grill some hot dogs and hamburgers and enjoy time eating outdoors as a family
- Wednesday, August 29: Get into school mode by painting some “kindness rocks.” Don’t know what that means? Read about the “Kindness Rocks” project for ideas.
- Thursday, August 30: Catch the sunset while enjoying some s’mores on your deck or patio.
- Friday, August 31: Squeeze in one last summer carnival! The carnival at the Frankfort Fall Fest is not one to miss! The kids can get in one last thrill before hitting the books for the new school year.