It is that time of year again: back to school, and back to activities! With school back in session, there are many extra curricular activities starting again. If you have older children who are involved in activities, chances are your little ones have wanted to tag along or join in the fun. Here are some ideas to keep the littlest members of your family busy this year with some classes for little kids. This article is sponsored by The Dance Workshop.
The Dance Workshop is celebrating 35 years of offering classes for pre-schoolers through adults, beginner to advanced levels. Their focus is to provide the best in dance technique instruction in Ballet, Pointe, Demi-Pointe, Jazz, Funk Jazz, Lyrical, Tap, Modern, Hip Hop, Musical Theater, and All-Star PomDance while students are encouraged in their enthusiasm and creativity within the dance world.
Their Twinkle Tots program starts at age 2 and your little one can progress through the Twinkle Program, which ends with kindergarten ballet and tap. Click here to view the current class schedule and registration form.
The Dance Workshop
9015 W 151st Street
Orland Park, IL 60462
Classes for Little Kids in the Southwest Suburbs
These studios offer dance classes to the tiniest dancers in your life. Many start as young as 18 months. Dance is a wonderful way to introduce your little one to rhythm, music, and class structure. Check out one of these local schools today!
- Bolingbrook: Dance Dimensions (2 years and up); Allegro Music & Dance Academy (18 months and up)
- Bridgeview: Ohana Academy of Gymnastics, Dance, Music, & Art (4 years and up)
- Chicago Ridge: The Dance Shop (2 years and up)
- Evergreen Park: Mongan Dance Academy (2 years and up)
- Frankfort: Ballet 5:8 School of the Arts (2 years and up); Dance Company Frankfort (preschool age and up)
- Homer Glen: Elite Dance Academy (walking age and up)
- Lemont: Allegro Music & Dance Academy (18 months and up)
- Lockport: Allegro Music & Dance Academy (18 months and up); Wings Dance Studio (2 years and up); Turning Pointe Dance Company (15 months and up)
- Midlothian: Precision Dance Project (toddler age and up)
- New Lenox: Turning Pointe Dance Company (6 months and up)
- Oak Forest: Stage Door Dance Academy (2 years and up)
- Orland Park: American Dance Center (3 years and up); The Dance Workshop (2 years and up)
- Plainfield: Vaughan Dance Academy (2 years and up)
- Tinley Park: Dance Images Studio (18 months and up); Southwest Synergy Dance (15 months and up)
- Worth: Lavin-Cassidy School of Irish Dance (4 years and up)
Indoor Swim Lessons for Little Kids
Learning how to swim is an important skill for children. Try one of these local swimming pools for lessons on how to turn your little one into a little fish!
- Bolingbrook: Bolingbrook Recreation and Aquatic Complex (Parkie’s Starfish Swim School for lessons to toddlers and up)
- Crestwood: Crestwood Recreation and Wellness Center (starting with Parent/tot classes age 6 months and up)
- Frankfort: Lincolnway East (age 4 and up)
- Homewood: H-F Racquet and Fitness Club (swim lessons starting with parent/child and up)
- Joliet: Inwood Athletic Club (Red Cross swim lessons age 6 months and up)
- Matteson: Matteson Community Center (CELTS swim lessons for tots and up)
- New Lenox: Lincolnway Central (age 4 and up)
- Palos Hills: Moraine Valley Fitness Recreation (classes starting at 24 months)
How adorable are little kids with martial arts uniforms and belts? These martial arts classes offer even the littlest students a way to practice self discipline, flexibility, and strength. Many have classes that start at three years of age, with continuing enrollment. Check out one of these dojos and start today!
- Burbank: JK Martial Arts Academy (Tiny Tigers starting at 3 years and up)
- Frankfort: Frankfort Blackbelt Academy (Tiny Tigers for ages 2-5)
- Joliet: Studio Garuda (offering classes for age 4 and up); SUDA International Training Center (starting at ages 3 and up); TM Martial Arts (little ninjas starting at age 3 1/2)
- Lemont: T-USA Martial Arts (Tiny Tigers starting at age 3 and up)
- Lockport: USA Spirit Martial Arts Academy (Little Tiger Taekwondo starting at age 4 and up)
- Mokena: Family Martial Arts (Tiny Tigers starting at preschool age)
- New Lenox: Dragon Fire Karate (4 years and up); Jung’s Champion Taekwondo (Little Tiger classes starting at age 4); Pride Martial Arts (3 years and up)
- Orland Park: Dion Riccardo’s Victory Martial Arts Academy (4 years and up); Kickhigher Martial Arts (Tiny Tigers starting at age 3)
- Palos Heights: T-USA Martial Arts (Tiny Tigers starting at age 3 and up)
- Plainfield: Chikara Martial Arts Academy (ages 4 and up); Dion Riccardo’s Victory Martial Arts Academy (4 years and up); Full Life Martial Arts (ages 3 1/2 and up); World Champion Taekwondo (Little Tigers class for preschool age kids)
Many children begin learning the fundamentals of art and music at home when they are tiny babies. Most kids love painting, coloring, drawing, dancing, and making their own music. Check out one of these classes and develop their creative brains!
Miss Angie’s Music
Locations vary; classes for kids age 0-5 available through various park districts (Frankfort, Oak Forest, Palos Heights, Oak Lawn, and Lagrange Park).
Music with Lindsey
Miss Lindsey offers My First Music classes in Orland Park, as well as a YouTube channel with free online courses for kids ages 0-4 years.
Classes available at various locations (Bolingbrook, Palos Park, and Lockport) for children ages birth – 8 years.
Musikgarten at Simply Music
Simply Music offers the Musikgarten program designed to foster musical love and ability in early childhood, starting at age 6 months.
Evolution Music of Orland Park
Toddler rockstar classes for those aged 4-7 years.
Prairie Art Studio (Orland Park)
Classes for children aged 3 and up.
Mucci World Arts and Crafts Studio (Tinley Park)
Classes for ages 3 and up.
These classes offer an opportunity for your little monkeys to put their energy and strength to work! Many of these locations start offering classes as young as 18 months for parent/tot classes.
- Alsip: 3D Gymnastics and Cheer (parent/tot classes and older)
- Bridgeview: Ohana Academy of Gymnastics, Dance, Music and Art (age 4 and up)
- Chicago Heights: One World Gymnastics (age 3 and up)
- Countryside: Flying High Sports and Rec Center (ages 18 months and up)
- Joliet: Aspire Gymnastics Academy (age 18 months and older)
- Frankfort: United Gymnastics Academy (walking age and older)
- Hickory Hills: Flying High Sports and Rec Center (ages 18 months and up)
- Mokena: Gym-Kinetics (walking age and older)
- New Lenox: Flipstar Gymnastics Academy (ages 2 and up)
- Plainfield: Gym Quest (walking age and older)
- Shorewood: Dynamos II (age 2 and older)
- Tinley Park: Twist Stars Tumbling and Trampoline (age 3 and older); United Gymnastics Academy (walking age and older)
Don’t forget to check out your local park district or YMCA for plenty of classes for sports, art, music, swimming, and more! Your local library will also offer special events as well as weekly story times for little ones. And the best part about those library classes: they are FREE!