We are excited to announce a new Kidlist sponsor: Chicago Family Doulas! They have a lot to offer moms and families, including labor support, placenta encapsulation, postpartum support, and classes. Kidlist welcomes Anna Rodney, Owner and Founder of Chicago Family Doulas, as a guest contributor to shed some light on what a postpartum doula is and how they can help support you during the day, at night, or both. Having a newborn can be really overwhelming and it’s so wonderful that you can reach out to such caring women for help!
The new trend of hiring a postpartum doula or “night nurse” has really caught on, especially in bigger cities. People need help when welcoming a new baby into their home and families and relatives often are spread out or spread thin.
Postpartum doulas are not just for women suffering from postpartum depression; we do it all.
Many families utilize postpartum doulas to allow them sleep at night. The shock of sleep deprivation that comes with having a newborn can disrupt the lives of new parents. Getting a full nights sleep or even a couple longer stretches of sleep can be life-changing.
Having the support of a daytime postpartum doula can also be revitalizing and provide much needed help.
Some parents feel isolated as they take on their new and demanding roles; they’re not sure what’s normal, they need in-person reassurance, and they miss adult interaction. In addition to all the household and baby-related tasks a postpartum doula will do laundry, light housekeeping, meal prep and cooking, errands and more.
What does a Postpartum Doula do?
- We will help you get that shower and nap. Simple luxuries like these will change the course of your day. We know how draining it is to care for a newborn, and how hard it is to “sleep when the baby sleeps”. We will do it all so you can nap.
- Postpartum doulas are experts in postpartum recovery and newborns. We can help you identify what is normal, support you and baby and provide ideas and information and we can also help you identify when more help is needed and direct you to those resources. We provide knowledge, comfort and confidence.
- We can help to prevent and recognize postpartum mood disorders. Having support, sleep, reassurance and recovery time will help to combat postpartum depression. Your hormones are fluctuating as new demands are being placed on you and this can be overwhelming. We will not only help you manage your new demands we will also help to reassure you and build you confidence.
- Have us run errands for or with you. Do you need groceries but it seems like an insurmountable task? We’ll take your list to the store and get everything you need! Do you want to just walk to the coffee shop so you can feel normal for a few minutes? We’ll help you get baby in a wrap or stroller and head out with you! We can even watch baby while you get out by yourself for a bit. It’s easy to feel trapped inside the house when you have a newborn, and we can help you figure out how to wrap your mind around introducing your new baby to your old routine
- Postpartum doulas want you to enjoy your newborn. We understand that this is easier said than done. We will help you experience the joy of parenthood by minimizing some of the stress related to bringing a baby into your busy lives.
Daytime, overnight or both your postpartum doula will be there to make your transition calmer, easier and more positive.
We take care of you, your baby, and your family!
In addition to postpartum support, Chicago Family Doulas also offers labor support, placenta encapsulation, and classes. Owner and Founder, Anna Rodney is available day and night to answer your questions and share more about how they can help you. Call 707.616.9137 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Chicago Family Doulas supports the western suburbs of Chicago and is located in Oak Park, IL.